music

Album: The Vaccines – What Did You Expect From The Vaccines?

The Vaccines have been tipped to be one of the biggest bands this year – even featuring in the BBC’s Sound of 2011 – yet it has been hard not to be sceptical of their success due to the contacts they apparently have at their disposal. The vocalist Justin Young used to be flatmates with Marcus Mumford and the guitarist, Freddie Cowan, is the younger brother of Tom from the Horrors, which could suggest that they have the potential to be another over-hyped pop outfit. However, What Did You Expect From the Vaccines? suggests that they also have the talent to compliment their address book.

The Vaccines have been tipped to be one of the biggest bands this year – even featuring in the BBC’s Sound of 2011 – yet it has been hard not to be sceptical of their success due to the contacts they apparently have at their disposal. Vocalist Justin Young used to be flatmates with Marcus Mumford and guitarist, Freddie Cowan, is the younger brother of Tom from the Horrors, which could suggest that they have the potential to be another over-hyped pop outfit. However, What did you expect from the Vaccines? suggests that they also have the talent to compliment their address book.

The album opens with debut single, ‘Wreckin’ Bar (Ra Ra Ra)’, which clocks in at just under one minute and twenty-four seconds and features distorted guitar noises over a no-nonsense drum beat before Young unleashes an instantly memorable vocal melody over the top. The addition of a ‘50s style guitar solo that harks back to Chuck Berry makes this an almost perfect pop song, giving the album an exciting and refreshing opener. ‘If You Wanna’ follows, featuring another hook-laden number with guitars that are comparable to The Ramones, and a danceable drum beat that is reminiscent of the beginning of the last decade. There are more subtle moments however such as ‘Wetsuit’, which captures some of the atmosphere that is present in Interpol’s first album.

What did you expect from the Vaccines? is an infectious debut that isn’t particularly groundbreaking but has emerged at the right time and gives respite from the arty and experimental music that has dominated best album lists over the last few years. For this reason, it is likely that this will positively influence music in the future.

Mitchell Holmes

Liam Gallagher and John Squire live in Manchester: ‘Growing old disgracefully’ in the best way possible

Oasis’ Liam Gallagher teams up with boyhood guitar hero John Squire of The Stone Roses to deliver psychedelic raucousness in Manchester

This Feeling live in Manchester: Rivia, The Stride, and Kyris take Off the Square

META – This Feeling’s latest Manchester outing showcases three guitar bands with big futures

86TVs live in Manchester: Headline debut in the city lights up the Deaf Institute

86TVs made their Manchester headline debut at The Deaf Institute, showcasing their new EP and unreleased material

Master Peace live at Night and Day: How To Make a Tour

The genre-bending, ‘indie sleaze revivalist’ brings his electrifying ‘How to Make a Tour’ set to Manchester’s Night and Day