Little bites of raspberry delight

Use a sieve to dust with icing sugar for a homey/rustic look.

By Jemma Gibson

Ingredients

• 110g unsalted butter (cut into small pieces and warmed slightly)
  • 180g sugar (caster or granulated white is best)
  • 2 eggs
  • 125g self-raising flour
  • 120g plain flour
  • 125ml semi-skimmed milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 5 tablespoons raspberry jam (seedless unless you want seeded cakes)
  • Icing sugar for dusting tops

Method
Preheat oven to 160°C/350°F/gas mark 4
Cream (using whisk or electric whisk) the butter and sugar for at least 4 minutes-until smooth and creamy, add the eggs on at a time, mixing after each.
Mix both of the flours in a separate bowl. Add the vanilla extract to the milk in a jug. Add one third of the flour mix to the creamed mixture and beat well, and then add a third of the milk and beat well, repeat flour/milk steps until all of the flour and milk is added. Ensure it’s all well mixed. Add the jam but barely stir (it’ll get a lot more mixed in when you spoon the mixture into the cases and the idea is for the cakes to have pink streaks running through them)
Spoon the mixture into cupcake cases so each is about two thirds full. Bake for about 25 minutes or until raised and golden brown (try to avoid opening the oven door while they bake). Remove from the oven, leave to cool slightly and then transfer to a wire cooling rack (or clean grill pan) to cool.