music

Album: Beady Eye – Different Gear, Still Speeding

For a new Mancunian rock band, bringing out a debut is normally a difficult process; yet one that happens in droves. If, however, that band is actually a successful old band, minus one member, it’s a walk in the park. Though Different Gear, Still Speeding was set for scrutiny and controversy from the offset, Liam Gallagher and his tribe of merry men have, surprisingly, exceeded themselves.

Beady Eye
Different Gear, Still Speeding
Beady Eye Records
3 stars

For a new Mancunian rock band, bringing out a debut is normally a difficult process; yet one that happens in droves. If, however, that band is actually a successful old band, minus one member, it’s a walk in the park.

Though Different Gear, Still Speeding was set for scrutiny and controversy from the offset, Liam Gallagher and his tribe of merry men have, surprisingly, exceeded themselves. The overall vibe of the album is a mature, guitar based rock, with blues echoing beneath. You’d be forgiven for thinking that they were the remnants of The Beatles rather than Oasis.

Some tracks are reminiscent of Oasis, but they are not simply rehashes. A similar sound was inevitable, after all, the same voice is singing and the same instruments are playing. This is not a downfall; in fact, the similar songs are the strongest on the album.

Lyrically, the album is top, but unfortunately still plays host to some cheesy, unimaginative lines. Certain songs, ‘Three Ring Circus’ included, feel lazy, with the repetition of a line or so throughout the whole song. Overall, they have managed to cope adequately without the presence of talented songwriter, Noel.

‘Bring the Light’ adds a cheerful and upbeat flavour to the album. It is a song to jive to, and one that is likely to be played at Indie discos for years to come. Liam has proved that it doesn’t matter the name of his band, his music will live forever.

Shauna Botrel