roisin-dervish-okane

Let’s hear it for the boys

We at The Mancunion take gender equality very seriously and promise to provide fashion for all this year.

Judging by the throngs of impeccably dressed young men that stroll nonchalantly around campus, sartorial fascination among Manchester students is hardly limited to the supposed ‘fairer sex’. For this reason, we at The Mancunion solemnly swear to reward you dapper dressers by allocating menswear- be it haute couture or high street style, a fair share of our busy column inches. As for all of you in smelly tracksuit bottoms and your school leavers’ hoodies, here’s hoping you’ll have a browse and learn something. After all, as they say, there is no such thing as a selfless good deed.

What better season to start our weekly celebration of men’s style. Freshly cut fashion meat appeared in the form of Emilo Pucci’s and Jonathan Saunders’ respective debut menswear collections and exciting shows emerged from designers A.Hallucination and C/BRUERBERG, who were both awarded the accolade of Vogue’s ‘ones to watch’. Elsewhere in the fabulously intangible world of the high-end fashion factory, girls dressed as boys marched down the runways of everyone from Stella to Chanel.

The ‘mannish’ trend was impossible to ignore on the Autumn/Winter catwalks, and it seems that for the coming months, we all, irrespective of our gender, shall be drawing inspiration from the wardrobes of classically well turned out gents. So keep your peepers peeled and your purse-strings tightened for our upcoming guide to the biggest menswear trends, this season’s key pieces and where to find them. Just remember to do the gentlemanly thing and learn to share your new timeless tailoring or classic winter knits with your wonderful, stylish girlfriends. Equality for all, we say.

Roisin Dervish-O'Kane

Roisin Dervish-O’Kane

Former Fashion Editor (2011-2012).

Does Hailey Bieber’s Rhode phone case signal the death of the handbag?

Hailey Bieber’s latest release, a phone case specially designed to fit a lip product, is just the next step in the ever-shrinking bag trend of recent years. Does this signal the handbag’s ultimate demise?

Get to know Oddmuse: Aimee Smale on doing ‘what people aren’t expecting’

London-based slow-fashion brand Oddmuse took off over lockdown on TikTok and other social media platforms – I picked founder Aimee’s brain on how to break into the fashion industry and her future vision for Oddmuse

Conversations about acne #3: Not just a girl’s issue

Acne isn’t just a teen or female issue as one writer explains in their latest addition to the ‘Conversations about acne’ series