UK fees: 3rd highest in the world

UK tuition fees are the most expensive after the US and Korea.

Tuition fees at UK universities are the third highest in the world, and that’s before fees triple in 2012.

Data published by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) showed that on average UK students were charged £3,100 for courses in 2008/2009.

This means that only Americans and Koreans pay more than English students for higher education while students in France, Holland and Sweden continue to enjoy free university education.

However, Andreas Schleicher, head of the OECD’s indicators and analysis division, was at pains to point out that the cost of higher education in the UK can be misleading, as – unlike their Korean and American counterparts – UK students are supported by substantial government loans. Mr Schleicher did concede that for people from disadvantaged backgrounds, the cost of a university education in England may prove to be prohibitive.

Speaking to the Daily Telegraph, Mr Schleicher said, “There is a clear risk in there if fees get to a level that’s unmanageable, if you free things up entirely – and universities may well want to charge fees a lot higher than £9,000 – then you can run into problems.”

OECD data has already shown that rising fees in the US have led to a decline in the number of people choosing to go to university in recent years.