lily-howes
3rd October 2011

Blind Date: Tom and Naomi

Civil Engineering stud, Tom, meets Linguistics lover, Naomi, over some steak and sticky toffee pud!

Tom, Third year, Civil Engineering

What were your first impressions?
Good, she looked really nice and seemed friendly

What did you talk about?
A lot of random crap really, everything from spearfishing to Fred West

Best thing about them?
She’s really interested in food, always a good thing in my book!

What did you eat?
Sea bass with chorizo spinach and potato, followed by chocolate brownie

Any awkwardness?
Not really, only a little bit at the start when I realised the photographer was a guy off my course! Oh and when the guy running the pub quiz came over to wind us up because we weren’t going to join in.

How did you part ways?
Got her number and then headed off home

Out of 10?
Hmm let’s go with an 8.5

Would you see them again?
Possibly

Naomi, Second year, Linguistics

What were your first impressions?

Confident, friendly and smiley.

What did you talk about?

Turning into our parents, being welsh and why we chose not to go to a welsh university, traumatic experiences with farm animals, his summer of travelling and my lack thereof, good sausages and bad facial hair.

Best thing about them?

Hard to point out just one, but he was was very easy to talk to. It felt like I’d known him for much longer.

What did you eat?

Since I wasn’t paying, I got steak: perfectly done with very tasty mustard sauce! I had sticky toffee pudding for dessert. It was a nice big generous portion too. Well done Deaf Institute.

Any awkwardness?

After we’d finished eating, a pub quiz started up. The host tried to get us to join in and we didn’t want to, so he started cracking jokes about how he’d take our names and then heckle at us throughout the quiz. I think he was trying to funny or something but he wasn’t funny, which was awkward.

How did you part ways?

Well I have to admit after reading this column before, I knew you were going to ask this question. So I began to be a bit conscious of it the minute we left. We ended up getting the bus in the same direction but because I was chatting away his stop rolled up sooner than I was anticipating, and he had to make a hasty exit. I managed a wave and a lame ‘thanks!’ as he disappeared down the stairwell. Not even sure if heard me! Massive fail.

Out of 10?

8

Would you see them again?

I’m sure we’ll bump into each other sometime! He got my number anyway…

Tom and Naomi ate at The Deaf Institute, Grosvenor Street, Manchester. Visit their website www.thedeafinstitute.co.uk to check out their menu, gig listings and have a look at what club nights are coming up.

To sign up for blind date please e mail your name, year of study and course to [email protected] with ‘blind date’ as the subject.

Lily Howes

Lily Howes

Former Lifestyle Editor at The Mancunion (2011-2012). English Literature and Drama graduate. Originally from Croydon, South London. If you don’t fancy being hounded to sign up for Blind Date then do avoid me at all costs (however if you are interested in taking part then e mail [email protected])

My year abroad, the visa process, and getting lost in translation

Preparing for your year abroad can feel daunting, but with a little preparation and a willingness to get things wrong at first, there’ll be plenty to look forward to

Getting involved: Volunteering at the Booth Centre

Getting involved in volunteering can help you feel more connected to Manchester and support the local community, here’s one writer’s experience

‘An audio treat’: The Mancunion’s favourite podcasts

Whether you’re looking to keep up with current affairs, celebrity gossip or even Formula 1, we’ve got you covered with our top pick of podcasts