edmund-alcock

Vice Magazine launches at Deaf Institute

Free American Apparel goody bags? Drinks tokens? What is this madness? It can only be the launch of Vice!

When: Tuesday 25th October, 8pm – 3am

Where: The Deaf Institute

Boys and Girls, a very, very fun party is coming to town on Tuesday.

Vice: [mass noun]

* immoral or wicked behaviour: an open sewer of vice and crime
* criminal activities involving prostitution, pornography, or drugs: a mobile phone network is being used to peddle vice
* an immoral or wicked personal characteristic: hypocrisy is a particularly sinister vice
a weakness of character or behaviour; a bad habit: cigars happen to be my father’s vice.

According to my editor, myself and all other decent professional journalists, what I just inserted above is cheating, disgusting journalism and downright laziness. You may think so too.

However! As I am writing this in relation to Vice Magazine’s new launch night at the Deaf Institute on Friday, I am taking free reign in journalistic customs and etiquette – just as Vice would love me to.

In case you are unaware of this anti-establishment, disruptive and highly contrary publication, they happen to be super funny too.

Born in Quebec, now living in NYC, Vice is the king of the bizarre satire in the western world, nay, the Globe.  Like their 27 country worldwide magazine, this night is also free, so there is no reason to not come along and check out what’s on offer.

A new force in ‘future pop’, Purity Ring descends upon Manchester for their first ever gig in the UK.  A hot topic from the streets of Manhattan, they represent Vice’s hometown for good reason. Only a year old, their stammering beats and synth loaded tracks are ever growing in popularity of progressive pop, and are building a catalogue toward a forthcoming 7” and an album within the next 4 months. “Hopefully” by January, says front man Corin Roddick.

Not only that, but the wonderfully named  Boredom are playing as are the melancholic Greatwaves.

Vice are also giving away free American Apparel goody bags for the early birds ‘pon arrival, and what’s more, are also giving away drinks tokens at www.vice.com/issuelaunch. Woohoo!

But what I’m most looking forward to is good ol’ North American college favourite – Beer Pong.

God Bless.