2,000 cannabis plants found in Salford pub

Greater Manchester Police have discovered 2,000 cannabis plants

Up to 2,000 cannabis plants have been found in disused pub in Salford.

Greater Manchester Police discovered the plants following reports of a disturbance.

The top floor of the three-storey property on Eccles New Road was found littered with cannabis plants, said GMP in a press release.

The drugs are thought to have a street value in the thousands of pounds, said Sgt Stuart McGuire.

Two men aged 51 and 28, a 15-year-old boy and a 41-year-old woman have been arrested on suspicion of producing a controlled drug.

Police Sergeant Stuart McGuire said: “We are at the very early stages of this investigation and the plants are still being recovered.

“However, our initial estimate is that we have recovered as many as 2,000 plants, which is a huge amount and shows we have effectively disrupted a very large criminal enterprise to distribute drugs within our communities.

“Again, it is very difficult to say just how much they are worth but the sheer number of plants means it will be thousands of pounds at least.

The bust was made on the evening of 26th October, and the plants will now be taken for forensic analysis.

“Cannabis farms of this scale can produce so much drugs,” said Sgt Mcguire.

“Many people view cannabis as a harmless drug, however it is important to realise that these people become addicted to it and then commit crime to fund their habit.”