tom-geddes

Live: Volbeat @ Academy 2

Danish rockabilly quartet, Volbeat, more than make up for last year’s tour cancellations.

Volbeat

28th October

Academy 2

4 Stars

In mainland Europe, Volbeat are huge. Last year they headlined Greenfield festival, which might not seem like much, but that put them on a level with Foo Fighters and System of a Down. Back in Manchester, they have to make do with Academy 2.

Support band Black Spiders, usually on fine form in support slots, had to make do with a four song set after being dogged by technical problems. PA problems forced them off stage half way through ‘Stay Down’, appropriately enough immediately after the lyric “Fuck you and this one horse town.” Twenty minutes later, returning to the stage looking ready to kill whoever responsible, they pick up right where they left off. Impressive determination, but not even ‘Kiss Tried to Kill Me’ couldn’t save them.

Volbeat however picked things up a little. Mixing frontman Michael Poulsen‘s rockabilly vocal style with Metallica’s guitar onslaught may not sound great on paper, but it’s infectious. ‘Hallelujah Goat’ alone impresses by showing off just how dynamic his voice can be, whilst moving tribute to Johnny Cash ‘Sad Man’s Tongue’ starts off playing on country music before powering straight into their signature style. Volbeat are about as crowd pleasing as a band can be, calling for cover requests and knocking out twenty second snippets without missing a beat. But it’s the cover of Dusty Springfield’s ‘I Only Wanna be with You’ which Volbeat truly make their own, making a room full of mainly metalheads dance about to it. It has to be seen to be believed.

Overall, Volbeats unique sound works in their favour. With nothing else like it, the band knows they can have you eating out of their hands. The strangest thing is, you don’t even realise quite how heavy the show has been until you get outside and question why your ears are ringing so much.

Volbeat – Guitar Gangsters and Cadillac Blood

Volbeat – I Only Wanna Be With You (Dusty Springfield Cover)

Black Spiders – Stay Down

Tom Geddes

Tom Geddes

Former Music Columnist (2011-2012).