daniel-jones
2nd February 2012

Album: Rodrigo y Gabriela – Area 52

The raw passion that fuels Rodrigo y Gabriela’s live performances is diluted by lengthy and elaborate instrumental excursions.

Rodrigo y Gabriela
Area 52
Rubyworks Records
2 out of 5

Area 52 is without a doubt the most expansive record that Rodrigo y Gabriela has produced to date. Despite being comprised of nine songs from their back catalogue, the album marks a distinct departure from the duo’s rugged acoustic tone and style. With the help of C.U.B.A. – a 13-piece band, from, you guessed it, Cuba – the tracks are infused with horns, pianos and salsa-driven rhythms.

However, the layers of intricate melodies, and the sheer variety of sounds do not necessarily add to our enjoyment of the guitarists’ undeniable talent. The openers, ‘Santa Domingo’ and ‘Hanuman’ feel a bit muddled and songs such as ‘Logos’ are almost dreary. You may even begin to imagine yourself sitting in a low-budget tapas restaurant, sipping on a lukewarm Bacardi mojito. The raw passion that fuels Rodrigo y Gabriela’s live performances is diluted by lengthy and elaborate instrumental excursions. Their intention was clearly to bolster their simple two guitar set up, but the subsequent effect almost masks their own individual virtuosity, and chemistry as a pair.

‘Diablo Rojo’ and ‘Tamacun’ do stand out on their own as two memorable tunes that pack some sort of a punch. The rolling beats are easy on the ear and showcase the technical ability of not only Rodrigo and Gabriela, but the backing band as well. If you are keen to admire some outstanding musical technique and instrumentation then the album might be up your alley. For the casual listener, it might prove to be a bit much.

Credit is due for the daring nature of the record, and the skill involved in its production. The group has moved in an adventurous direction, and despite the shortcomings of the tracks on offer here, it is clear to see that they are unafraid to take risks as a growing collective. In my eyes though, to get a full impression of how good Rodrigo y Gabriela actually are you have to see their live performances. It’s a shame that you cannot rely on their albums alone.

Rodrigo y Gabriela – Diablo Rojo (live)