gareth-lewis

RAG scores touchdown with Superbowl night success

RAG raised £500 by organizing a themed night at the SU Bar on the opening night of the superbowl

The New York Giants took the Superbowl last week with 21 points against The New England Patriot’s 17 in adrenaline filled four hours that saw RAG fundraisers emerging as the real winners.

The Union Bar, south campus, was packed with 180 sports fans and raised a total profit of £500 for the RAG Community Fund.

The night, stretching from 10pm to 4am was a great success and clearly tapped into an American Football fan base within the Manchester student community that is yet to reach its full potential. Buckets of chicken wings and bowls of curly fries flowed from the Union kitchen and a quick sweep of the room showed passionate revellers mixed with the odd Green Bay Packers jersey, perhaps not realising their team hadn’t made it.

For those die-hards who made past the first half on a Sunday night, an extra treat was thrown in. Madonna performing a mash up of her own songs, accompanied by Cee Lo Green and the now infamous offensive gesture thrown to cameras by M.I.A.

The money raised for the RAG community fund will go towards a collection of community-based charities in Manchester who applied to RAG for funding last year. It also brings RAG closer to this year’s fundraising target of £500,000.

RAG are following up the Superbowl with a series of events as part of RAG week, starting today, including an ice rink and Rocky Horror night. More details of these events can be found at manchesterrag.com

Gareth Lewis

Gareth Lewis

Former news editor (2011-2012).