edward-usher

Opinion: Why I hate Scuba

Zomby’s got competition at being the biggest arse in electronic music.

So Scuba’s a dick. Not content with being one of the biggest and most respected DJs in his genre, having a residency at the best club in the world, founding a hugely successful and influential record label, and being paid substantial amounts every night to travel around the world playing records to people, he also feels the need to try and expand his repertoire by challenging Zomby at being the biggest arse in electronic music.

The source of my discontent is the highly inflammatory remarks posted by Scuba aka SCB aka Paul Rose aka Massive Chief on Twitter prior to, during, and after his set at Sound Control earlier this month. Apparently he was unaware that there might be students at the student club in a student area of the city with the biggest student population in the country. Apparently he was also unaware that some of these students might not hold comprehensive knowledge of the depths of club music from the last thirty years and would be unable to instantly recognise an old-school dance hit released before the majority of them were born.

Heaven forbid someone from the crowd might get drunk at an end-of-exams celebration, and momentarily forget the release date of a recent dance-floor wrecker, innocently inquiring where Mr Scuba sourced said track. It is also beyond comprehension that a foolish student might not keep detailed notes on the extensive performing commitments of every ex-patriot bass-line merchant on the scene, and wonder whether the DJ whose set he was so very much enjoying had ever been to the Berghain.

Mr Rose’s highly anticipated third album is called Personality. This has to be ironic, as he clearly has none. If slagging off the people who enjoy what you do gets you to the top, then if anyone likes this article, fuck you.