emily-clark

How many calories are you drinking?

If a pint is the equivalent calories of a doughnut, maybe I should rethink my drink

When someone told me that a bottle of WKD contained 250 calories – the equivalent of a jam doughnut – I stopped drinking it and moved on to beer. Perhaps that was stupid, as a pint is about 250 calories anyway (a McChicken Sandwich is 350). Wine’s not great either – a big glass of it could equal a slice of cake. I’m never going to stop drinking pints, but gone are the days when I’d share a bottle of wine with myself for pre-drinks.

If you want to know exactly how many calories and units you drank last night, use the unit calculator on drinkaware.co.uk – sometimes it’s funny when a friend drank a lot and you shock them with the numbers. Last night I drank 466 calories; 5.5 units – which sounds a lot for only two pints of Stella. My housemate drank 511 calories; 6 units – the equivalent of 1.7 burgers and would need to run for 51 minutes to burn it off. Anyway, here is a list of calories in drinks – get adding.

Gin or vodka and tonic – 125

Rum and coke – 140

175ml medium glass of white wine – 130

175ml medium glass of red wine – 120

Bottle of white wine – 555

Bottle of red wine – 510

Pint of lager – 240-50

Pint of cider – 180-250

Pint of stout – 210

Pint of ale or bitter – 180-230

50ml liqueur – 100 -170

50ml brandy – 110

25ml whiskey – 55

Pro-Palestinian student groups occupy Simon Building in protest against University

Manchester Leftist Action have occupied the Simon Building to protest alleged University connections with Israel, along with students from UoM Rent Strike and Youth Front for Palestine

Nominations for Students’ Union Awards 2024 now open

Students can nominate themselves or others for the awards, which fall into four separate categories, with each award having its own awards night

UNiDAYS announce opening of Student Woman of the Year competition

The UNiDAYS-run competition aims to support female students who are making a difference and offers a £10,000 first prize for entrepreneurial initiatives