Our favourite pancake toppings

If your pancake day was a bit miserable, check out how we did ours!

Plum compote

This very, very simply recipe not only suits pancakes but goes with all manner of foods – yoghurt, porridge, even a fruit pie.

Ingredients

A box of plums

8 tbsps sugar, preferably muscovado

1 tbsp cinnamon

Splash red wine or any other alcohol

Method

Stone and roughly chop plums, place in a saucepan, and add all other ingredients. Cover and simmer on a low heat for 6–8 minutes, then gently stir for a further 2 minutes until the plums are soft.

Berry butter

Ingredients

1 cup of icing sugar
½ cup of softened butter
1 cup of strawberries
1 egg yolk

Method

Cut strawberries into small slices. Use an electric whisk to combine the sugar and butter in a large bowl. Continue to whisk, add the egg yolk then gradually add the strawberries (be careful as too many will thin your spread). Generously spread your berry butter across half of each pancake before layering any additional strawberries to rest on top.

Butterscotch sauce

Ingredients

45g softened butter
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup double cream

Method

Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Once it begins to turn golden add the sugar. Continually stir for a few minutes before adding the cream. Do not let the sauce boil, it should only thicken. Pour generously over pancakes. Serve with slices of banana or a few walnuts if desired.

Melted Galaxy chocolate

Ingredients

1 bar of Galaxy chocolate

Method

Melt the Galaxy chocolate. This is a notoriously difficult process, but is easy once you know how. First, chop the Galaxy chocolate into small pieces which are the same size: roughly that of an almond.  Put them in a microwaveable bowl and microwave at low heat for 30 second intervals. After each 30 seconds, stir the chocolate to see how well it’s melting. Continue this process until completely melted. Pour onto pancake and let your troubles float away.

Béchamel sauce, grated Gouda and sliced ham

Alternatively, use Emmental instead of Gouda and use mushrooms fried in garlic butter instead of ham for a vegetarian option. This recipe is for the Béchamel sauce; add any quantity of the other ingredients.

Ingredients

500ml semi-skimmed milk
50g butter
30g plain flour

Method

Melt butter gently in a pan. Add flour and stir well to form a smooth paste. Keep mixing, adding the milk a little at a time, getting rid of any lumps. Once thickened, add salt and pepper to taste.

Flight Club: Margarita Month with a twist

We headed to Flight Club to try their special cocktails in honour of Margarita Month, from Mango Margs to Spicy Picantes

The concept of small plate dining

Tapas, dim sum, chaat, meze, banchan and more!