paddy-madden

A change of seasons

The Mancunion reports as Australia moves into the rugby season..

Across England, as winter draws to a close, the first glimpse of an early spring sun is met with delirium. For some it’s the signal to descend upon the nearest beer garden and start longing for boozy summer trips to Magaluf. For others, it marks the perfect time to drag a dusty cricket bag down from the loft and crack open the linseed oil as the countdown to the season begins.
On the other side of the world, however, it’s nearly time to retire the bat and gloves and lace up the rugby boots.
The Mancunion was present in Sydney, Australia, to witness an almost ceremonial changing of the guard, as the Tri-nations one day series drew to a close and the Super 15 and National Rugby League seasons began.
The Super 15 season kicked off on 24thFebruary with the New South Wales Waratahs at home to the Queensland Reds – a fixture touted as Australia’s fiercest Union rivalry. The game was played at the hugely impressive ANZ stadium, a legacy of the 2000 Olympics. A thrilling, open game showcased the stark contrast between Northern and Southern hemisphere rugby – and both sides inability to retain possession was perversely enjoyable.
The Waratahs, spearheaded by Wallaby Adam Ashley-Cooper – but without Berrick Barnes, Drew Mitchell and Rocky Elsom – dominated for most of the game, but a last minute error allowed Reds’ Dom Shipperley to ghost over for the match-winning try. The match was an absorbing encounter, and with a crowd close to 35,000 it felt a world away from the more familiar surroundings of Edgeley Park on a Friday evening.
The following Sunday, The Mancunion headed to the SCG to see the penultimate Tri-Nations group game, as Australia eased to an 87-run victory over India, ensuring their progression into the series finals.
Whilst significantly smaller than the Melbourne Cricket Ground, the SCG is a stunning venue. The stands which can house over 45,000 spectators are as impressive as the old pavilion is quaint: a perfect blend of the old and new.
The 35,000 crowd was a boisterous mix of the ‘Swami Army’, India’s supporters group, and the Australian ‘Fanatics’. On a lager-soaked afternoon it was clear that going to watch the cricket is a different culture over here, with cucumber sandwiches replaced by ‘schooners’ of Toohey’s and XXXX. Indeed, the Australian support delighting in informing Virat Kohli that he’s a “massive wanker” only served to remind visitors that this wasn’t the members’ stand at Lords.
After Australia crept past the 250-run mark in the opening innings, India’s chase never really gathered momentum. Sachin Tendulkar once again failed in his bid to reach his hundredth century, and his haphazard run-out thanks to Gautam Gambhir’s incompetence marked the day’s only real disappointment.
So with the Australian cricket team leaving Sydney for the last time this winter, local attention turned to rugby league.
Akin to football in England, the NRL seems to completely dominate the national psyche – nowhere more so than in New South Wales, which boasts 10 of the league’s 16 sides. Throughout Sydney the opening NRL fixtures were the talk of the city – especially the weekend’s closing game between South Sydney Rabbitohs and Sydney Roosters. Like the Waratahs, the Rabbitohs conceded in the final minute, losing 24-20 to their fierce rivals.
Back in Blighty, it isn’t long before the first sounds and sights of leather on willow appear. As summertime approaches down under, however, Australia is rugby mad.

Paddy Madden

Paddy Madden

Former sports editor (2011-2012).