paul-frame

Live: Rizzle Kicks @ Academy 1

Rizzle Kicks’ live show can be fairly described as harmless fun.

Rizzle Kicks
Academy 1
2nd March
2 stars

After seeing some brilliant bands play sparsely filled Manchester venues, one could assume that the hype building around the Academy hours before the doors opened was for a new prodigy, perhaps the British music’s latest saviour or at least Mario Balotelli giving out free ice cream. The masses of teens however were there to see Radio 1 favourites Rizzle Kicks.

The Brighton duo have had a massive year with their debut Stereo Typical spewing several hits, whilst their collaborations with insipid but nonetheless popular artists like Jessie J, Ed Sheeran and Olly Murs have undoubtedly helped fuel the hysteria that was present at tonight’s show.

Despite my cynicism, Rizzle Kicks’ live show can be fairly described as harmless fun. Yes, it was lacking in quality and padded out with instrumental versions of the Bond theme and Seven Nation Army, but they had the young crowd eating out of their hands from start to finish.

It did take a while for me to come round, the ‘Revolution Rock’ sampling ‘When I was a Youngster’ was particularly soul destroying and only a trip to the toilet helped me avoid their take on Ed Sheeran’s ‘You Need Me, I Don’t Need You’. I was however swung around, perhaps and most probably by the effects of alcohol; nonetheless it would be harsh to discredit the duo’s ability to stimulate a crowd. The entire room played along with their stage games as if possessed and by the end I have to admit I was doing ‘the hump’…or at least I think I was.

Although finishing triumphantly with the catchy ‘Down with the Trumpets’, I honestly don’t think I could ever see Rizzle Kicks as credible recording artists; nevertheless they’re going to make a lot of friends warming up crowds at this summer’s festivals.

Liam Gallagher and John Squire live in Manchester: ‘Growing old disgracefully’ in the best way possible

Oasis’ Liam Gallagher teams up with boyhood guitar hero John Squire of The Stone Roses to deliver psychedelic raucousness in Manchester

This Feeling live in Manchester: Rivia, The Stride, and Kyris take Off the Square

META – This Feeling’s latest Manchester outing showcases three guitar bands with big futures

86TVs live in Manchester: Headline debut in the city lights up the Deaf Institute

86TVs made their Manchester headline debut at The Deaf Institute, showcasing their new EP and unreleased material

Master Peace live at Night and Day: How To Make a Tour

The genre-bending, ‘indie sleaze revivalist’ brings his electrifying ‘How to Make a Tour’ set to Manchester’s Night and Day