james-gilbert

Manic Manchester Hit Top Form to Dispatch Wilting Worcester

University of Manchester Men’s 1st XV – 72 University of Worcester – 5

I am a very proud chap. Proud because a large contingent of fans and I witnessed one of the finest rugby performances by our Men’s Rugby Union team that I have seen in my three years of being involved in this club. Manchester’s performance was so fine and fluent that the Armitage faithful didn’t understand why this quality of rugby had not been exhibited before because it appeared so easy and Worcester are a very accomplished side. Manchester did not just beat Worcester, they routed them- nay, they destroyed them. What was it about Manchester’s performance that made them so successful against an extremely motivated Worcester side? They met their potential. They showed flair and ambition and hit the levels they know they are capable of. Were there any Dropped balls? None. Lost lineouts? Nada. Slow ball? Rien. Lack of possession? Nichts. Lapses of concentration? Sausage. Basically, everything Manchester tried they got right, and they showed why they could have been promoted this year by completely annihilating a very good Worcester side at the Armitage on Wednesday.
Having narrowly lost their away game to Worcester 8-7, Manchester gained revenge at home with a majestic 72-5 win. Worcester were the bigger side but failed to live up to the skill and speed levels that Manchester produced and got taught a lesson in the drawback of being too big and heavy to compete with a very fit and accomplished Manchester team.
Joe Dale set the tone for the whole game by scoring an early try after an explosive start by Manchester’s forwards. With brilliant breaks being made by James Williams and Guy Ridley in midfield, Joe Heslop and Liam Nicol ran brilliant supporting lines to score two tries apiece. With Worcester still showing huge levels of commitment and aggression, the breakdown area remained furiously competitive between both sets of forwards but nobody excelled in this area as much as Man of the Match Stu Cross. With some bone crunching tackles, Cross annulled any threat from Worcester’s forwards by smashing them back and stealing the ball at every opportunity.
With half time looming, Manchester tested Worcester’s forwards further by reverting from an open game to a tight and disciplined routine, forcing the Worcester tight five to commit themselves to every ruck and breakdown. Henry Brooke battered his opposite man at the scrum and was awarded with a try just before half time.
After the break, most teams would take their foot off the pedal having completely dominated the first half but Manchester increased their energy levels and work rate to really put Worcester to the sword with arguably one of their best and most complete performances of the season. James Williams scored two more tries after a period of brilliant handling that Worcester could not compete with, and Freddie Watson’s typically dogged display was awarded with a try after showing great pace to outrun the Worcester full back. Manchester did blemish their copy book by conceding a try mid way through the second half following a series of infringements at the breakdown, but there was little chance of a comeback.
Stu Cross capped his fine performance by scoring a very well deserved try in retaliation to the Worcester score, and upon his appeal for improved discipline, the whole team responded well to ensure Worcester would not cross the Manchester line for a second time. James Booth, who had an 87% kicking success rate throughout the game and showed great reliance under the high ball to produce a textbook performance for a full back.
With time running out, Paddy Shaw kept Worcester on the back foot with some huge kicks downfield and Manchester only just failed to score more points after a brilliant display of defence by the comprehensively battered Worcester side. The game ended with rapturous applause by the Armitage crowd and a huge degree of satisfaction was evident on coach Thiu Barnard’s face as he witnessed his charges show how well they can really play.
Man of the Match Stu Cross said at the end of the game ‘That was a really tough team we just bullied, and although it doesn’t make up for previous disappointments, we are glad we finally produced the levels of rugby we know we can.’
Captain Freddie Watson also said ‘We have played like this for most of the season but not converted quality into points. If we had done this earlier I really think we could have been promoted. We are really pleased to get this result because Worcester could have easily come here and made it a very tight game.’
The University of Manchester Mens Rugby Union Club would like to thank Ernst and Young for their support throughout this season.