Opinion: Why I hate Two Door Cinema Club

I’ll always have infinitely more respect for Lou Reed collaborating with Metallica than any indie clone band.

You might wonder how anyone could hate these nice, polite chaps from Northern Ireland, especially when they come so beautifully packaged and presented. Well, as someone who is completely against flogging of any kind, I really do take umbrage with the metaphorical ‘dead horse’ of which indie music has become. Two Doors music, for me, goes hand in hand with the people who champion it – I mean has anyone ever said, “Yeah he’s a great laugh; he likes Two Door Cinema Club as well you know”. With the world’s population approaching 7 billion, I do appreciate it is hard to stand out, but when a band blends into the background so nicely, one has to question their musical intentions and whether in 40 years time they can look back on their career with any ounce of pride.

There seems to be a formulaic pattern to their song writing, with 99.9% of they’re songs featuring a jangly, riff played way up past the twelfth fret, and of course you’ve got that signature drum pattern which Two Door must be getting endorsed to use or something. As for the lyrics, I get the feeling that I’ve heard every single line before, something that should be apparent to anyone who has spent an evening in 5th Ave or any indie night for that matter, and has subsequently gone on to contemplate hanging themselves, out of pure shame, with their own token pair of chinos.

I expect the majority of people will be in complete disagreement, but who made music a democracy? There are people who listen to music in clubs and people who have a passion for music, whether its Metal or Jazz Fusion, and Two Door Cinema Club will never find themselves among the latter. I’m sick of bands with nothing interesting or new to say, delivering the same old riffs, dressed in the same old clobber. Please, do something different! I’ll always have infinitely more respect for Lou Reed making Metal Machine Music and collaborating with Metallica than any indie clone band.

• Alex

I agree. We have 6 Music on all day at work which is preferable to any other radio station around here at the mo. However, they insist on playin 2Door’s hit about 6 times between 9-5 and it sends me running for my headphones)

• jphpddrd294

I kind of both agree and disagree with you. Whilst I am a great fan of TDCC, there are some songs of theirs that sound extremely similar to others in the Indie scene. For some reason, these songs always turn out to be their biggest hits, and I suppose the reason being is the same as Pop music.
    However, they’ve written so many other songs that sound very different from one another, and DEFINITELY don’t have the ‘signature drum beat’. Usually they seem simple at first, but on further listening you discover just how complex and brilliant they are. I’ve covered the majority of their songs by ear on piano/keyboard, and I have to admit, they were considerably harder and more complicated than many others that I have covered (songs from the rock, musical, and classical genres to name a few).And to be totally honest, they really love what they do, which to me is all that matters.
    Still, you have your opinion, I have mine. I don’t disrespect that :)
    I can understand if it’s not their taste in music or whatever, but it’s not right to call them rubbish!