Three charged with attempted murder of student in Platt Fields Park

Three people have been charged with the attempted murder of Manchester student Daniel Whiteley

Two men and a woman have been charged with the attempted murder of a first year student who was found in a drainage ditch in Platt Fields Park.

Michael Brownlie 26, Nicholas Lindsay 21 and Katie Mongan 18, all from Longsight have been charged with the attempted murder of Daniel Whiteley.

Brownlie, Lindsay and Mongan appeared in Magistrate’s Court on 5 March, where Brownlie’s application for bail was rejected. The defendants only spoke to confirm their names and addresses. They are to appear in Manchester Crown Court on March 19.

Daniel Whiteley was the victim of a vicious assault and was found in a draining ditch in the early hours of the morning on Tuesday February 28. He remained unidentified for 36 hours whilst fighting for his life in hospital.

He was said to have been punched and kicked repeatedly and may have gained severe head injuries as he fell into the ditch. A passer by heard screaming coming from the 15ft embankment at around 5:30am and this was when the emergency services were called.

Daniel had been out with friends and is believed to have returned to his halls of residence before leaving to get some food on Wilmslow Road. He may have been involved in an incident at the Krunchy Fried Chicken takeaway in Fallowfield.

Daniel Whiteley, the first year English Literature student at Manchester University was visited by university staff in hospital was said to be “sat up in bed and talking to friends”. He was moved to a regular ward after spending over a week unconscious and in a critical condition. His recovery remains steady.