lily-howes
23rd April 2012

Blind date: Alex and Rosa

A blind date first… He bought her flowers!

Alex, Medicine, Fourth year

What were your expectations for the evening?

I was determined to fall head over heels in love with the girl of my dreams! Sick of constantly choosing the wrong girl, I decided to let the forces of fate do a better job…

First impressions?

Well hello there 😉 Fate 1 – 0 Alex

What did you talk about?

Rosa’s undying passion for mathematics, her ambition to become a firewoman (?!?), Rosa’s hometown (Newcastle), school days (Rosa is a muscical prodigy, but very modest about it), my love-hate relationship with medicine, jobs, hobbies, student life, future plans… All beautifully accompanied by a side order of my lame jokes which mostly dropped like a lead balloon, oops! But it was lovely chatting with Rosa.

Best thing about them?

She wants to play dress up as a firefighter, slide down a pole and is fantastic with a hose. What more does a man want?

What did you eat?

Given that Rosa is Vegetarian (Or pescatarian so I was corrected) I naturally opted for the steak with sweet potato chips (The food was actually well above

par). We had sticky toffee pudding and a cocktail afterwards – I offered to seductively spoon feed a blackberry into her mouth, which didn’t go down particularly well. Oh well, points for effort?

Any awkwardness?

When sipping on her cocktail Rosa commented that the straw was too small to suck on. I desperately held back the urge to throw in a crude joke… She also seemed to walk reeeeally fast and didn’t look at me on the way home… Perhaps I was stalking her :S

How did you part ways? (Mouth-to-mouth action/heavy petting/friendly hug?)

I got the impression she was in a hurry to leave *sob, sob*. I walked her back towards her friend’s house (Safety measure in case I turned out to be a serial killer perhaps?). We parted at the train station with a friendly hug and a little peck (I was aiming for the lips of course, but miscalculated and landed it somewhere between her ear and hair. Must work on my aim).

Out of 10?

Approximately 7.111111 recurring. Rosa is a pretty girl, lovely company, I just didn’t feel enough “spark”. I’m still searching for love sadly.

Would you see them again?

Certainly – as friends. Which is a shame as I had the engagement ring, floral display (Which I’d already given her at the beginning of the date), and horse & carriage already booked – I spent the whole of the next day cancelling it. She added me on Facebook, so that’s a good result.

Rosa, Maths, Fourth year

Good conversation, a bit of a laugh and a tasty free meal.

First impressions?

OMG he bought flowers!

What did you talk about?

Cities, long words, unusual career ambitions, student stereotypes, nightmare housemates, emigrating, music and making music, lots of stuff.

Best thing about them?

Really easy to talk to.

What did you eat?

I had a falafel burger with a couple of glasses of wine, then sticky toffee pudding and finished with a lush cocktail (milked the whole free food and drinks thing). He had steak which he kept worrying would offend me since I’m veggie…..it didn’t.

Any awkwardness?

Not much apart from the whole ‘sorry about the steak’ thing. We managed to keep the conversation going throughout the evening with minimal awkward silences I think

We walked into town together where he got the tram and I went to meet a friend

Out of 10?

6

Would you see them again?

I think it’s unlikely seeing as he lives a bit outside manchester and doesn’t come in that often, also we didn’t have much in common and didn’t swap numbers.

Alex and Rosa ate at The Deaf Institute, Grosvenor Street, Manchester. Thanks to the guys down at Grosvenor Street for getting involved. To check out their menu, gig listings and have a look at what club nights are coming up visit their website www.thedeafinstitute.co.uk

To sign up for blind date please e mail your name, year of study and course [email protected] with ‘blind date’ as the subject

Lily Howes

Lily Howes

Former Lifestyle Editor at The Mancunion (2011-2012). English Literature and Drama graduate. Originally from Croydon, South London. If you don’t fancy being hounded to sign up for Blind Date then do avoid me at all costs (however if you are interested in taking part then e mail [email protected])

Houseplant heaven: The best plants to brighten up your student home

With the RHS Urban Show coming to Manchester, we’ve found some of the best houseplants to enhance your student accommodation

Why is everybody obsessed with minimalism?

The minimalist way of life is everywhere – what can we learn when its meaning is so often repackaged as another consumer trend?

How to have a routine when you have so few contact hours

If you find yourself with few in-person contact hours and facing challenges in establishing a routine, here are some tips to enhance your daily productivity