eloise-marsh

Police link sex attacks in student area

Police increase patrols in Fallowfield and Withington after two sexual assaults in the area

Two sexual assaults in Fallowfield and Withington may be connected, according to police.

The attacks are said to have been carried out by a young Asian man.

The most recent incident took place on Egerton Road, Fallowfield on September 20, when a 22-year-old woman was stopped and asked for directions. The same man later followed and sexually assaulted her.

This attack is being linked to an assault on July 14, where a man approached and assaulted  a 20-year-old woman on Mauldeth Road West near the Ladybarn Lane junction in Withington.

The culprit in both incidents is described as a man of Asian descent in his 20s, around 5ft 8 and of chubby build.

Police have increased patrols in the areas.

Inspector Andy Smith from Greater Manchester Police’s Student Safe Team said, “If anyone sees any suspicious behaviour in the area, they should call the police immediately. We are well placed to respond to these calls within a matter of minutes.

“If young women are genuinely concerned about their safety, they can contact the police to pick up a panic alarm which they could carry on their keys.”

The Student Safe Team, who were on campus during Freshers’ Week, advise students to stay in groups while out and stick to well-lit areas.

The Students’ Union has launched a Safe Taxi Scheme this year in conjunction with local taxi firm Union Cars.

The project allows students to use their student ID as a deposit for the fare, which will be returned to the Union the following day to be collected by the student who will then pay the outstanding fare.