ellen-conlon

News in brief – 22nd Oct

Furious Man City fans, a cake-baking law graduate and GMP facing a large fine

Man City fans left furious over sold-out match prices

City fans are fuming after dozens of tickets for a sold-out match have gone on sale online with a large booking fee placed on top.

Tickets were made available for the Spurs match by online firm Viagogo. Fans say tickets with a face value of £51 were being sold with a £12.24 booking fee on top. Buyers also need a £10 City membership card to purchase.

“It’s a sad day in the history of Manchester City,” said a Blues season card holder.

Greater Manchester Police face £120,000 fine after USB containing private information stolen

The USB was inside a detective’s wallet when his house was burgled and the wallet taken.

The memory stick contained sensitive information about 1,100 people who gave information about drug probes and has no password protection.

The force was handed an £120,000 fine for failing to order all staff to use encrypted USB drives.

The detective responsible for the security breach is believed to have been disciplined by the GMP.

Law graduate praises Manchester for helping him become King of Cakes

BBC’s Great British Bake-Off winner John Whaites competed on the program in between studying for his final year exams at Manchester University.

He says his win is down to his studying: “If I hadn’t been in the middle of the degree I’m not sure I would have won.”

He graduated this summer with a first class degree.