tilly-miller

Old Hollywood’s Leading Lady in Red: Get the Look

Tilly Miller scours the high street in search of “Audrey-esque” coats to stand out in scarlet this winter

With winter and even Christmas rapidly approaching, we Mancunians know that we will inevitably be splashing out on some warmer wear over the next month. As the temperature drops it may be tempting to throw on the old cable-knit jumper your grandma gave you three Christmases ago, but I would urge you to step away and leap into the arms of one of these high street takes on Miss Hepburn’s famous look.

In true Hollywood style, the classic red coat has established itself as a timeless option to suit any look and budget. While we may not be old Hollywood celebrities, you will certainly feel like one wearing one of these colourful coats. Not only is the red coat perfect for Christmas, but it also provides the perfect antidote to our mid-term blues; tending to be brought on by looming deadlines and fast evaporating loans!

Here are three of the best high street alternatives I found on my search. Collarless, double-breasted and certainly eye-catching, there’s one for every style and budget.

To complete Audrey’s elegant ensemble seen in ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’ pair with Topshop’s premium faux-fur black Cossack.

Hep-budget: For a very small fee of twenty-two pounds, Debenhams has the perfect cheapo imitation for those of you wanting to save as much as possible.

Heppy medium: Boohoo’s fifty pound red coat certainly demonstrates a modern take on the old classic with its pleated detail and gold buttons flattering all figures.

Hep-blowout: Whilst this Urban Outfitters beauty will certainly cause your debit card some damage, it’s bang on trend for this A/W. This double-breasted coat is bound to get you noticed around campus, if not for the colour, for your dedication to fashion!

Leopard print roars back: The resurgence of a popular fashion trend

Exploring the resurgence of leopard print – how the iconic pattern clawed its way back into fashion’s spotlight with a blend of nostalgia, contemporary flair, and widespread celebrity endorsement

Celebrity style guide #7: Lewis Hamilton

Not everyone would look to the Formula 1 paddock for style inspiration, but luckily our editors have some insight from Lewis Hamilton to help you elevate your wardrobe

What the Croc? Pringles x Crocs and other crazy collabs

We explore some of Crocs’ weird collaborations with brands, artists, and designers that have rocked the fashion world as of late

3D nails: Achieving new heights in beauty

Does the rise of 3D nail art in the wake of the ‘clean girl’ beauty era signal the resurgence of maximalism? Where did the 3D nail trend begin and where can you get your own unique set?