sophie-james
23rd October 2012

Top 5: Bond songs

We celebrate the release of ‘Skyfall’ with a Bond-themed top 5

5. Skyfall

Once Bond himself came to Her Majesty’s not so secret service at the London Olympics, the anticipation for Skyfall went into orbit.  You may or may not think that it’s the film to grace Bond’s 50th anniversary, but the Skyfall theme has got it all. Adele’s smoky voice plus seductive strings equals classic bond.

4. Thunderball

British ladies’ man? There’s only two people you’d think of: James Bond and Tom Jones. Beating Bassey, Dionne Warwick and Johnny Cash in the competition for this song, Thunderball secured both Bond and Sir Tom’s pulling potential for many years to come.

3. Diamonds are Forever

And ever and ever….Dame Shirley Bassey was chosen to bid adieu to Sean Connery’s Bond for the title theme to Diamonds Are Forever. It’s difficult to think of a trickier act to follow than Goldfinger, but the girl from Tiger Bay produced another classic that has stood the test of time much better than the film.

2. Live and Let Die

Whilst we’re all now sick of the sight (and sound) of Paul McCartney after he beatled his way round every single televised event this summer, there was once a much simpler time when McCartney was just a singer with another band, Wings. And his finest hour was the theme to Live and Let Die, Wings’ best selling single and the best selling Bond theme up to that point.

1. Goldfinger

Bassey’s back in and she’s number 1. (Who else?!) My first ever Bond film was Goldfinger and the title sequence alone was enough to get me completely hooked. Dame Shirley’s first Bond theme was a total hit, and became just as iconic as the film itself.

Priscilla review: Coppola gives voice to the voiceless

Sofia Coppola is back with another portrait of girlhood, this time showing the life of Priscilla Presley beyond Elvis’ shadow

Wicked Little Letters review: Profanity and mystery in 1920s England

Come for the endless profanity but stay for Olivia Colman in this new comedy set in 1920s England

Preview: Manchester Film Festival returns to the Great Northern | MFF 2024

Manchester Film Festival returns once again to the Odeon Great Northern, this time they’re celebrating 10 years of introducing cutting-edge cinema to the city’s audience

Uncut film takes: The biggest Oscar snubs of the last 10 years

Which films deserved a win or even just a nomination? We’re here to correct history