george-latimer-butler

Review: North by Northwest

George Latimer-Butler finds the precursor to todays’ Bond movies in the 1959 Hitchcock masterpiece

When I sat down in an 1830’s train warehouse to watch North by Northwest, 1959, I was already excited. Directed by the legend Alfred Hitchcock, known for his classics Psycho, Rear Window and Vertigo it had masterpiece written all-over it. Put off slightly by a gent ahead who enjoyed telling me off for fidgeting, and thus, preceded to consistently stare at me throughout the film, it was thoroughly fantastic.

Hitchcock has managed to produce an exceedingly witty, charming and cheeky timeless adventure. The protagonist  Roger O. Thornhill, played by Grant, is unfortunately mistaken as a government agent named George Caplin and accordingly an intelligent antagonist Phillip Vandamm pursues him endlessly. The great actor James Mason portrays Vandamm exceptionally well and better than his comical henchman Martin Landau. Knowingly managing to charm and slide his way out of sticky situations Thornhill manages to board the 20th Century Limited train to Chicago, where romance fills the air as he meets the stunning blonde Eve Kendall played by Eva Marie Saint. Unfortunately for him there is more to her than meets the eye.

Cary Grant is a man many men would like to impersonate: unbelievably cool, calm and collected. Subsequently, his acting and humour is exceptional. Previously used by Hitchcock in ‘To Catch a Thief’ there is no question as to why he was turned to again. It does not surprise me to hear that Ian Flemming modelled James Bond with Cary Grant in mind. Moreover, if Cary Grant is James Bond then Daniel Craig just isn’t as sweet but Eva Marie Saint is definitely a Bond girl. These actors give a memorable performance in this blockbuster filled with suspense, action and entertainment. To add to the atmosphere a steam train consistently passed the back of the Warehouse, which gave a theoretical feel to room, I could have been at the fringe with this one. Hitchcock is masterful. Great film and great set-up, let’s just say I picked up a couple of what’s-on flyers, I might indulge.

40 Years of the Future: Painting abstract exhibition review

The abstract and the figurative collide in the thought-provoking first installation of Castlefield Gallery’s 40th Anniversary celebrations

We’re kicking off our new feature, Making Manchester, by quizzing photographer Anna Marsden about her practice and what inspires her