ellen-conlon
1st November 2012

News in brief – 5th November

Mancunian zombies, a million pound exhibition and a WWI bomb found in Didsbury

Manchester Museum unveils £1.57 million exhibition

Manchester Museum’s new £1.57 million Ancient Worlds exhibition is now on display, marking the centenary of the museum’s opening.

The exhibition is split into three sections, offering insights into ancient civilisations such as Greece, Rome and Egypt, and is the culmination of four years planning and construction.

Manchester Museum director, Dr Nick Merriman said: “Manchester Museum’s Egyptology collection is one of the best in the country – it is a real asset for Manchester and the university.”

WWI bomb found in Didsbury cellar

A suspected First World War bomb was discovered in a cellar in West Didsbury.

The foot long torpedo-shaped device was unexploded and was found by a woman whilst clearing out her cellar.

The surrounding roads were closed off by police as they waited for the bomb disposal squad to arrive.

1,000 zombies descend upon the city

Hundreds of zombies marched through Manchester last week to raise money for the Big Issue in the North.

The parade of around 1,000 fancy-dressed fundraisers began at the Printworks and ended in Market Street.

After years of success trying to beat the world record for the most zombies in one place, the march is now an annual event to raise money for a good cause.