New multi-million pound Learning Commons closed until January?

Structural work carried out after glass panel smashes

The state-of-the-art Alan Gilbert Learning Commons will be closed for several weeks while structural work goes on in the building after a glass panel smashed last month.

The brand new building was shut only a month after it opened, after a glass balustrade around the central atrium shattered at approximately 1:00am on Monday October 29.

“The Learning Commons will remain closed for several weeks for essential work,” a University spokesman said. “The work involves strengthening every one of the glass balustrades in the building.”

“We aim to reopen in time for the exam period at the start of January at the latest, but it may open sooner.”

It is not yet known why the glass shattered.

As part of the strengthening, a protective film will be wrapped around the balustrades.

The University is thought to have closed the £24million building due to safety precautions.

Students expressed their anger over the closure on social networking site Twitter.

@AnthonyOsho said, “My uni is useless ‘the learning commons will be closed for several weeks’ £24million well spent UoM #disgraceful #libraryrammo.”

“Can’t stand that the learning commons is closed have to come and sit in the shitty library,” said @Sofiyer.

And @chloehelsey tweeted, “Hate that the learning commons are closed.”

The main University library will remain open 24/7 while the work is carried out in the Learning Commons.

A statement from the University said, “We are sorry the building has had to remain closed and thank our students for their patience.”