phoebe-chambre

University Creative Writing professor profile: Jeanette Winterson

The Creative Writing Professor is proving a major draw for the University and its Centre for New Writing

As The Mancunion’s own News section has covered, Jeanette Winterson, the author to have most recently taken on the Creative Writing Professorship at the university’s Creative Writing program has won not one, but two well-deserved accolades. At the end of October it was announced that Winterson’s recent memoir, Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? won the Independent Booksellers’ Book Prize 2012, and subsequently the author was named Stonewall’s Writer of the Year, an organization which lauds the positive representation of gay people in the media. And really, we couldn’t be prouder.

Winterson follows in the footsteps, in the Creative Writing department, of both Martin Amis (whose tenure ended controversially in 2011, Amis’ ‘hourly rate’ announced and pilloried in the press) and Irish author Colm Tóibin. It is great to have a female writer in the role, and one whose own roots are local to Manchester. One of the best parts of having such well-respected authors in university roles is that they give regular talks on and around campus, and so far Jeanette’s have been incredibly well attended. Jeanette Winterson’s most recent scheduled talk, last week, at John Ryland’s Deansgate was unfortunately cancelled, but in her next appearance at the Martin Harris Centre, in early December, the author will join with other leading Northern writers for a festive ‘Christmas Special’.

Summer Daydreaming: Literary escapes from the winter blues

Why not escape winter with these sun-soaked reads? We offer a few recommendations that unveil the warmth of summer reading regardless of the season.

Recommending a book for each Taylor Swift era

Taylor Swift is now more popular than ever and we can’t get enough, so we recommend a book for each of her albums.

International Women’s Day book guide: Celebrating feminists and feminism

Women’s writing should be spotlighted and celebrated all year round, but in the lead up to International Women’s Day, there’s no time like the present so we recommend some of our favourite books

More than Murakami: What does Japanese fiction have to offer?

Why is Japanese fiction becoming so popular? We give some insight into the rise of modern Japanese literature and recommend some of our favourite reads!