david-burch
23rd November 2012

Breakthrough in search for arthritis cure

14 new genes discovered that can lead to the disease

A major breakthrough has been made by University of Manchester researchers looking for a cure for arthritis.

The groundbreaking study, published in the journal Nature Genetics, involved scientists studying the DNA samples from more than 27,000 patients with the disease.

Researchers already know environmental factors such as smoking, diet, pregnancy and infection can cause the disease, but new research shows that genetic disposition also influences the likelihood of developing it.

14 new genes were discovered that can lead to rheumatoid arthritis – a disease that affects around 70 million worldwide, and over 400,000 people in the UK.

Alongside 32 genes already linked to the disease, the researchers now feel they have discovered nearly all the genes that contribute to the disease.

Study author Dr Stephen Eyre stated the potential of the findings to be used for the development of drugs to help those afflicted with the disease.

“This work will have a great impact on the treatment of arthritis. We have already found three genes that are targets for drugs, leaving 43 genes with the potential for drug development”.

At present a third of patients don’t respond well to medications that have been developed for the disease.

Professor Alan Silman, medical director of Arthritis Research UK, hopes that these discoveries will lead to a “greater understanding of the disease and allow us to develop targeted drug treatments for the people currently living with rheumatoid arthritis.”

The study also reveals the genetic association between rheumatoid arthritis and the X chromosome, helping to understand why three times more women develop the disease than men.

But the researchers’ work is far from over, as Professor Jane Worthington indicated.

“Our future work will focus on understanding how the simple genetic changes alter normal biological processes and lead to disease. Ultimately, this will help us to develop novel therapies.”

A rundown of LeadMCR election results night

The eight new SU Exec Officers were revealed on March 7 after two weeks of campaigning, as well as the seven NUS Representatives and the winners of the Union’s LeadMCR Alternative Awards

College Roundup: US edition

Enjoying this year’s University Round-ups? Here you can have a look across the pond at some of the drama from American Colleges

Manchester researchers find majority of women experience abuse while running

Over two-thirds of women in the study had been abused while running, with 58% reporting verbal abuse

Your new Exec team: LeadMCR 2024 results

Eight Exec Officers and seven NUS reps have been elected for LeadMCR 2024/25