Britain's biggest student newspaper, serving Greater Manchester

12 Drinks of Christmas

Trust us, there’s a Christmas drink to suit every mood

By , , , , and

12 drinks to match the 12 days of Christmas. Or just be merry and drink them whenever!

1) Hot Apple Crumble cocktail

50 ml Vodka
1 inch cinnamon stick (crushed)
25ml apple puree (or stewed apple – boil apple with water and sugar in a pan until soft, then mush)
25ml apple juice
12.5 ml lemon juice
10ml sugar syrup

Warm ingredients gently in a pan over the hob. Strain into mug. Sprinkle with some cinnamon to finish. Good enough to eat. Or drink. Serving suggestion: custard!

2) Hot Toddy 

Add a large glug of whiskey to a mug of boiling water. Sprinkle in a pinch of cinnamon, stir in a good spoonful of honey and garnish with a slice of fresh lemon. The perfect remedy to an unwanted Christmas cold, or just to combat the winter chill!

3) Mulled wine with Amaretto

To a large pan, add a bottle of red wine with 100g sugar, 3 cinnamon sticks, 2 tsp ground ginger, the slices of one orange and some cloves. Add a very generous glug of Amaretto liqueur (approximately 2 x 25ml shots per person). Simmer gently and let the smell waft through your house for at least half an hour.

4) Baileys

This heavenly Christmas liqueur is undoubtedly best drunk without frills. Serve it simply on the rocks with a pinch of nutmeg and a splash of full-fat milk for a smooth festive indulgence.

5) Stout

Red Willow Heartless is a limited edition Colombian chocolate stout. Sip slowly to fully appreciate the rich complexity.

6) Hot chocolate

Melt grated chocolate with milk and add sugar to taste. Whisk for froth and serve with biscotti. Alternatively, visit The Alchemist for a Choc Chip Coffeetini.

7) Port

Try the festive Noval 10 Year Tawny Port. Full of dark chocolate and dried fruit flavours, yet retaining freshness.

8) Mulled Cider

Pour 1l of cider into a pan along with 2 cinnamon sticks and some cloves. If the cider is quite dry, add a few tablespoons of sugar or honey. You could also add a good splosh of orange liqueur if you want an extra tang. Add some slices of apple and warm through for at least half an hour.

9) Cranberry and orange cocktail

Pour 2 parts vodka, 1 part orange liqueur and 1 part cranberry juice and a squeeze of lemon juice into a cocktail shaker. Add ice cubes, shake well and strain into a martini glass.

10) Eggnog

Eggnog is the quintessential American Christmas beverage. Whatever recipe you follow, you must use the best ingredients available. Treat yourself to this creamy, boozy delight, topped with a rasp of nutmeg.

11) Snowball cocktail

Mix two measures of advocaat with a squeeze of lime juice and pour over crushed ice. Top with lemonade.

12) Gingerbread latte

Add a quarter tsp each of ground cinnamon and ginger to 1 tbsp molasses syrup, 1 tsp of vanilla extract and 1 tsp instant coffee and mix together. Heat 1 cup of milk until foamy, then pour milk into the coffee mixture.