Craving and Saving

Lusting after something that you simply cannot afford right now? Here is the high-street alternative…

Craving: Alexander Wang Darcy Hobo Bag, approx. £600, Selfridges & Co.

This bag has haunted me since I saw it slung and hanging from Rihanna’s forearm a few years ago. Studs are getting a bit overdone with the emblazoned clutches, leather jackets and even iPhone cases available on the high street this A/W, but as a long-standing lover of the bad-ass adornment, I can say that this bag is still on my wishlist and will be for quite some time.

Wang’s bags seem to have a cult following with the young and fashion-forward in the celebrity world with his combination classic: distressed leather and quirky, hard-edged, almost industrial, rivet additions to his bags.

As unattainable as this bag is to a debt-ridden budget of an unemployed student like me, it’s nice to pretend you own a bit of fashionable luxury when browsing through Selfridges. Fans of this will also be interested to know of the designer’s new additions in bright citrus hues and classic black with rose gold hardware. A girl can dream, eh?

Photo: asos.com

Saving: Label Mb Ellie Studded Base Tote Shoulder Hand Bag, £52, Asos Marketplace

At a fraction of the price of the Wang, this ASOS Marketplace version seems like the answer to a Wang-wannabe’s prayers. With an almost identical pebbled finish on a faux, but ethical, black leather with similar antique gold brass rivets adorning the bottom of the bag, those in love with the Darcy design can have the last laugh with this very decent replica.

For just over fifty quid, this bag does the job without costing you your rent money, and leaving you some pennies to enable those indulgent nights-out this Christmas: and all with an ‘actual’ Darcy bag on your arm, so it looks like you truly can have it all… and live off Super Noodles until the next loan instalment.

• Michaela

I have been lusting for this bag as well and bought a lookalike on ebay and the handle was broken and stretched within a day. Have you had any problems from this bag since you purchased it?