everyday-analysis-collective
1st February 2013

‘Newphoria’ and the Case of the Mobile Phone

Our new weekly column comes courtesy of the Everyday Analysis Collective, a Manchester based group who dissect and analyse the signs of our everyday life

One can see this analysis coming; a criticism of popular culture’s decorative mobile phone covers coming from a self-congratulating highbrow language.  You say Swarovski crystals, we say commodity fetishism, you say retro cassette tape iPhone cover, we say commodity fetishism.

But isn’t there something much more interesting about the idea of cases and covers? When we purchase a cover or case, we at least partly do so to protect our phone.  But we overlook the repercussion; we have paid a large amount of money for the slimmest, smallest, most appealing phone (never shown in a case on the advert) and then we nullify this by making it bigger, bulkier and less-appealing, precisely in order to protect what we have paid for, even at its own cost.

Doesn’t this show us something about the structure of our desires?  It is not the ‘slimness’ that is advertised towards which our desire tends at all, but some invisible characteristic or presence within the product, some always illusive object of desire, which always remains unarticulated.

This new advert for Norton’s phone and electronics protection, tagline ‘if excitement over your new device is causing muscle cramps in your face you may have newphoria,’ seems to capture this perfectly.  What we are looking to defend in our product is not one of its actual characteristics but instead some elusive ‘newness’ which produces happiness in us, but which we cannot approach or articulate.

Indeed, perhaps we can go as far as to say that the cover does serve a protective function.  It protects us from the realization that our desire cannot be fulfilled; it maintains the illusion ‘underneath that big bulky leather case, and through that screen cover and Manchester United/Hello Kitty back-cover, is an illusive, secret object of desire, which is my possession, and it makes me happy’.  If we actually faced the object directly, we would face the realization that it does nothing to fulfil us.

We need the cover because it keeps the realization of our desires at a distance, since if our desires were to be realized, we could not handle it…

http://everydayanalysis.tumblr.com/

@EDAnalysis

Four women who make the art world a better place

To celebrate International Women’s Day 2024, we asked our writers to tell us a bit about their favourite women artists.

Sonny Angels: The art history behind your new best friend

Sonny Angels are going viral on TikTok right now, but did you know there’s a long art historical tradition behind the adorable dolls?

The Whitworth’s Dürer Exhibition is coming to an end: Have you seen it yet?

Dürer, German’s Renaissance painter and theorist, has made a home for himself at The Whitworth. Visit profound work soon before he’s gone…

Review: FACE TO FACE at the Fête of Britain

Brian Eno’s installation FACE TO FACE at Aviva Studios invites focus and contemplation on the state of things and how we might change them.