Cheaper than chips

How do you like your eggs in the morning? Frideswide O’Neill suggests some cheap but eggstremely delicious alternatives

Economical Eggcellence

Sometimes there’s nothing nicer than an egg on a piece of hot buttered toast – whether it’s boiled, scrambled, poached or fried – but these are easy to get bored of. Have a look at these recipes for some new ideas about how to make them more eggciting!

1. Baked avocado egg

This is a great way to get protein and good fats into your diet. All you need is half an avocado and an egg. Heat the oven to 200°C, put the avocado half on a tray, crack the egg into it and season with salt, pepper, herbs and spices. Bake for 10 minutes.

2. Oeufs en cocotte

Pretty much just eggs baked in ramekins, this is a great way to use up left overs as you can line the ramekin with almost anything. Some great options are mushrooms, spinach, peppers, bacon or salmon. Pre-cook whatever you are going to use, tip it into the ramekin and crack an egg (or two) on top. Go decadent by filling up the ramekin with cream! Bake at 180°C for 15 minutes.

3. One pan English breakfast

The problem with a full English breakfast in a student house is that there often aren’t enough clean pans available for all the different components. Avoid this hurdle by conveniently cooking everything in one pan. First, chuck a few chipolatas into a hot frying pan until well browned, then add some chopped up bacon. Turn the heat down slightly, add a knob of butter and throw in some mushrooms and tomatoes. While this is all cooking, whisk three eggs with a bit of milk, salt and pepper, before turning the heat up and pouring the eggs into the pan. Your English breakfast omelette will no doubt be too heavy to try and flip so the key to cooking it is either to put the whole pan in the oven (if the handle in oven-proof) or just put it under the grill until the top goes golden.