Britain's biggest student newspaper, serving Greater Manchester

Craving & Saving

Lusting after something that you simply cannot afford right now? Here is the high-street alternative.

Craving: Marchesa Carioca set by La Perla – £326

Valentine’s day and new underwear are two sides of the same coin: whether you want to treat your doting boyfriend or be prepared for every eventuality that may arise on the eve of St Valentine, purchasing something to make you feel fantastic is a necessity.

The ultimate brand for underwear has to be La Perla. The Italian company create beautifully elegant underwear with the highest quality materials, which I think are unrivalled. Their underwear avoids all traps of tackiness, choosing only to stock their designs in timeless blacks, whites and nudes and for more colourful personalities they stock some sets in light blues, reds and yellows. This Marchesa Carioca set is my favourite; with unquestionable sexiness the bra mixes embroidered lace with luxurious velvet straps. Regrettably at £326, this alluring set will not be a feature in the valentines’ plans of many, if any, students.

Photo: Topshop.com

Photo: Topshop.com

Saving: Cornflower blue matching set by Topshop – £24

It upsets me to no end when people assume that, in order to be sexy, you need kinky red crotchless underwear from Ann Summers. Personally, I think classically pretty underwear such as this periwinkle blue lingerie set from Topshop is far more striking. A steal at only £24 for the set, the beautiful detailing and mixture of lace and satin make this ensemble classy yet provocative. With current underwear shying away from padding and underwire to pay homage to the 1920s and 1930s that preferred a daintier silhouette, this set is bang on trend and will compliment all skin tones with its pastel colouring.