hayley-wells

How To: Come-to-bed eyes

Make up pro Halee Wells shows you how to achieve the perfect sexy eye during this month of love.

Some say the eyes are the windows to the soul, others might say they are the window to the perfect romantic evening on the 14th. There’s no denying that eyes are an important feature on a girl, with 8 out of 10 guys saying it’s the first thing they notice, so here are some simple steps to create a sultry smoky eye to bag yourself that perfect date.

Step 1: Add a shimmery base colour to the eyes, such as silver or gold, spreading up to the brow bone and focusing specifically on the inner corner of the eye, then running it underneath the lower lashes. I use Rimmel Glam Eyes Mono Eye Shadow in Gold Rush, using just my finger.

picture: Halee Wells

Step 2: Using a small eye shadow brush, or again, just your finger, blend a darker shadow such as brown or black, into the socket. Start by brushing over the lid, then outwards towards the brow bone and the outer corner of the eye to create a slightly winged effect. The key here is blending for that real smoky look. Finally with the same shadow, blend a small amount under the lower lash. I use L’Oreal Color Infallible Eye Shadow in Eternal Black, infused with a subtle silver shimmer.

picture: Halee Wells

TIP: Try not to blend your dark shades too close to the brow bone, we’re going for a killer stare tonight, not a killer punch.

Step 3: Apply liquid liner to the top of your lashes, starting from the inner corner, winging out at the end. I use Rimmel Glam Eyes Liquid Liner in Black. For a more intense stare, take a kohl black liner and run along the bottom lash line. Collection 2000 Intense Colour Supersoft Kohl Pencil in Black Magic is a perfect soft liner which lasts all night long.

picture: Halee Wells

TIP: For a more feline eye, take your liquid liner flick longer and wider, for a doll look, take it shorter but higher… Meow!

Step 4: MASCARA. Don’t be afraid here girls, three to four coats is perfect to finish the look, or even add some false lashes if you dare. My Holy Grail mascara has to be L’Oreal Mega Volume Collagene 24 Hour Mascara: a make up bag essential!

picture: Halee Wells

And that’s it! Your ultimate smoky eye. Don’t be afraid to experiment with other colours, just about any shade works with these simple steps.

Zendaya and the art of theme dressing

Are Zendaya and stylist Law Roach the fashion worlds answer to Lennon and McCartney?

Does Hailey Bieber’s Rhode phone case signal the death of the handbag?

Hailey Bieber’s latest release, a phone case specially designed to fit a lip product, is just the next step in the ever-shrinking bag trend of recent years. Does this signal the handbag’s ultimate demise?

Get to know Oddmuse: Aimee Smale on doing ‘what people aren’t expecting’

London-based slow-fashion brand Oddmuse took off over lockdown on TikTok and other social media platforms – I picked founder Aimee’s brain on how to break into the fashion industry and her future vision for Oddmuse