Live: The Joy Formidable

Ritzy hits the Ritz as The Joy Formidable played their biggest Manchester headline show to date

The Ritz

After the immense success of their debut album, The Big Roar, and the subsequent touring as a headlining band and as support act for Foo Fighters and Muse, there was always going to be pressure on The Joy Formidable to step their studio work and live performances up another notch. Happily, with Wolf’s Law, the band obliged.

One of the features of this tour is the giving of support slots to fellow up and coming bands from North Wales. Denuo gave an assured performance which buzzed with youthful energy towards the end, and as Kill It Kid’s set progressed they shrugged off the initial impression of being an overly serious act with a series of fun new numbers which make their upcoming album a prospect to look out for.

However, the night belonged to the headline band, who strolled onstage to one of the most exciting tracks from Wolf’s Law, ‘Cholla’. While the newer songs, especially the heavy riffs of ‘Little Blimp’ and ‘Maw Maw Song’, got the crowd moving, classic tracks like ‘Cradle’, sent the crowd into a frenzy. It’s a good job, then, that the new album brought with it some much needed lower-intensity songs, ‘Silent Treatment’ and ‘Tendons’, to give the excitable crowd a chance to catch its breath.

There was no end of banter being thrown at the crowd and among the band, with frontwoman Ritzy Bryan frequently attacking Matt Thomas’ drum kit, while the whole band revelled in the reaction that the crowd gave to every word and gesture that they made.

The Joy Formidable are well versed in the art of giving an old fashioned rock and roll show, and their high-octane performances are not to be missed, and are sure to be gracing larger venues than the Ritz in years to come.