faye-parr

Croatia: the ‘it’ destination for summer 2013

Are you a festival fan? Faye Parr tells us why Croatia is the holiday for you

Croatia is fast becoming the ‘it’ place for summer getaways. This beautiful island is perfect for students who are looking for something more than the standard drunken holiday to Kavos or Ayia Napa.  Playing host to numerous festivals and with music to suit every taste, Croatia gives travellers a taste of the party atmosphere, but is also a cultural hotspot too. Why not treat yourself once your exams have finished? Here are two of this summer’s up and coming events:

In-Music Festival: 24th – 26th June

The In-Music festival offers the perfect opportunity to combine a cultural city break with a European music festival. It is located at the idyllic Lake Juran, with the Croatian capital of Zagreb easily reachable by public transport, and past artists have included Jamiroquai, Arcade Fire, The Streets and Franz Ferdinand. What’s not to like? A win-win situation, I am sure you will agree.

Flights from London to Zagreb take just two hour and cost about £130. You can camp on site at the festival for a bargain at £65 a ticket. If you would prefer to take advantage of some of the accommodation Zagreb boasts, a ticket will cost just £48 and hostels can be booked for as little as £15 a night and can be found on booking.com.

Hideout Festival: 3rd – 5th July

Located on the Island of Pag, which is well known for its lively night life, this festival has been a huge success since its launch in 2011. With boat parties galore and plenty of stunning beaches to choose from, you won’t be disappointed.

There are no camping facilities at this festival, but this is not a problem, as the island offers plenty of accommodation options. Those looking for a 24 hour party should head to Novalja on Zrce beach. Novalja is the liveliest part of the island and is just a short bus ride to the festival location. If you fancy something a little quieter, try the quaint fishing village of Madre, which has been voted the most beautiful place in Croatia.

The best bit of news yet? Croatia is cheaper than a lot of its European neighbours, so this little trip will fit in nicely with your student budget.  Flights take around two and a half hours from London and cost £250. Tickets for Hideout Festival cost £109 for three days, with headlining acts including Chase and Status, Pendulum, Rudimental and Jamie Jones.  Hostels or budget hotels in both Novalja and Madre are reasonably priced at around £45 per night, and can be found on booking.com.