hayley-wells

How To: Colour pop

Halee Wells decides whether this season’s guilty pleasure makeup trend is wearable or downright unbearable

Just about every bold makeup colour under the sun graced the Spring 2013 catwalks last year. From bright blue smudged eyeliner to brave magenta mascaras, a spectrum of colour swept across backstage at almost every show. But how can we incorporate this trend into our typical neutral palettes, and pull this look off without appearing too Lil Kim/90s Xtina?

Let’s start with eyes. I absolutely loved the Moschino Spring 2013 look, a swipe of aqua on the eyes and a sun kissed nude complexion. But can we make this look wearable for the Wednesday afternoon beer garden this Spring or should it stay on the catwalks? To recreate this look, I used Barry M Super Soft Eye Crayon in Matte Turquoise, which is the perfect match to the Moschino shade. I drew a line along my lash line, water line and one below the lower lashes, blending it in with an eye shadow brush. I then used a shimmery eye shadow in the inner corner to flatter the eyes, before adding two coats of mascara.

picture: Halee Wells

Donna Karan models wore hot pink eyeliner and bright fuchsia mascara. Even as a pink obsessive, this look was a little too ‘child-let-loose-with-crayons’ for me. Can we tone this down to everyday wear or is it just too much for the girl next door type? I chose Barry M Dazzle Dust in Neon Pink to brush across Sophie’s lids and under the lower lash line. This eye shadow is very pigmented so only a small amount is needed. I added highlight to the inner corners of the eyes and applied two coats of mascara.

picture: Halee Wells
model: Sophie Thomas

And now for the perfect neon pout. Yes, this lipstick is by Nicki Minaj who is infamous for her clown-esque brights, but you can achieve an on-trend look with a minimal eye and this gorgeous shade of pink. MAC Viva Glam Nicki, with its satin formula, provides the perfect coral pink shade to glide you through the sunny months. Tan optional.

picture: Halee Wells

Verdict: Attempting these looks was fun to say the least. I think this trend can be beautifully achieved with a strong eye and nude lip, or bare eyes and a bold pout. Resist adding harsh dark colours and keep the eye products to a minimum to avoid looking too drag queen. I for one cannot wait to experiment with more colours as the season commences – now let’s just pray for some sun!

Decoding the phenomenon: What lies behind celebrities launching beauty brands?

Why are so many celebs leaving the spotlight and reaching into the realm of cosmetics to launch their own beauty brands?

Celebrity style guide #3: Sabrina Carpenter

If you’re looking to recreate Sabrina’s feminine, pop-star style then look no further because we have a guide just for you