parizad-mangi

Top 5: Recurring film couples

This week we countdown acting duos that deliver movie magic time and time again

5. Adam Sandler & Drew Barrymore

They warmed our hearts in 1998’s The Wedding Singer and floored us again in 2004’s equally syrupy 50 First Dates. Sandler’s gauche charm and Barrymore’s debonair spirit brews a perfect chemistry for these bouncy rom-coms.

4. Richard Gere & Julia Roberts

The story of unexpected love between a callous businessman and a vulnerable prostitute in Pretty Woman (1990) was an instant hit thanks to its captivating leads. With another successful collaboration under their belts in the form of quirky and loveable Runaway Bride nearly a decade later, Gere and Roberts definitely go down as one of Hollywood’s most coveted pairs.

3. Richard Burton & Elizabeth Taylor

These two timeless cinema legends earned themselves a reputation as tempestuous lovers not only on-screen but off-screen as well. They have shared fiery chemistry in as many as eleven movies, including Cleopatra and Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

2. Johnny Depp & Helena Bonham Carter

Eccentric film-maker Tim Burton loves bringing his life partner and best friend together on celluloid which is fortunate because we love seeing what strange and twisted affair they portray next, from the bittersweet Corpse Bride to the sinister Sweeney Todd. Who doesn’t love this team?

1.  Leonardo DiCaprio & Kate Winslet

These two didn’t leave a single dry eye in the house as the ill-fated lovers Jack and Rose that meet on board the Titanic, creating an iconic romantic pairing that we have cherished for many years. So when Sam Mendes reunited them in 2009’s Revolutionary Road it was bound to make buzz. Poles apart from their former venture, this twosome still managed to break our hearts a second time. We’re still waiting for a third collaboration, perhaps a more cheerful one this time?

Wicked Little Letters review: Profanity and mystery in 1920s England

Come for the endless profanity but stay for Olivia Colman in this new comedy set in 1920s England

Preview: Manchester Film Festival returns to the Great Northern | MFF 2024

Manchester Film Festival returns once again to the Odeon Great Northern, this time they’re celebrating 10 years of introducing cutting-edge cinema to the city’s audience

Uncut film takes: The biggest Oscar snubs of the last 10 years

Which films deserved a win or even just a nomination? We’re here to correct history

My first night at the Oscars: The 2024 Academy Awards as seen from my laptop

The Oscars aired for the first time on ITV this year but is it really worth staying up to watch them?