Manchester ranked in top 50 world institutions

The Times Higher Education Reputation Rankings ranks Manchester 47th in the world

The University of Manchester is one of the world’s top 50 institutions, according to academics from across the globe.

The University is ranked 47th in the Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings, which asks academics to suggest the best institutions in the world in their field. This year’s rankings are based on responses from 16,639 academics spanning 144 countries.

Phil Baty, editor of Times Higher Education Rankings, said: “A university’s reputation is subjective, but it matters deeply in today’s highly competitive global marketplace.

“It has serious real-world impact – helping to attract top student and academic talent, and encouraging industrial investment and benefactions.”

Only the top 50 institutions are individually ranked, with the universities in the second half of the table being listed in groups of ten.

Manchester has shown consistent improvement since the rankings were introduced in 2011. That year it was ranked in the 61-70 band and in 2012 was in the 51-60 band, before breaking into the top 50 this year.

But Manchester is one of only nine UK universities in the top 100, three fewer than in 2011. Mr Baty suggested that this is “perhaps an indication of how the world has perceived the country’s radical funding reforms and visa clampdown”.

Harvard University took the top position on the list, with US universities dominating it. Seven of the top ten universities are American.

Scholars were asked not to rank institutions but to simply name up to 15 that they believe to be the best, based on their own experience. Only experienced, published scholars were invited to respond.

The University refused to comment on these rankings, but a spokesperson said: “There are numerous University league tables, and each are calculated using different methodologies.

“Since 2004, continued improvement in the Shanghai Jiao Tong Academic Ranking of World Universities has been one of the main ways we measure our success. The University of Manchester has made steady progress in these rankings, from 78th in 2004 to the current ranking of 40th.”