kate-bullivant
2nd April 2013

The Thai Society

Kate Bullivant talks to the Thai Society about this year’s Samaggi Games, held for the first time in Manchester

The University of Manchester’s Thai Society enables students interested in Thai culture and traditions to get together and meet new people. Each year they take part in the Samaggi Games, an annual Thai student sports tournament, which this year was held in Manchester for the first time. I spoke to Carissa Sirikitputtisak, the Chair of the society, to find out how we got on.

“This year 55 universities attended Samaggi and participants competed in 18 events ranging from badminton to an eating contest, relay races to tug of war, as well as three-legged races. In these events the University of Manchester had great success taking home two medals at the games. PhD student Poonsuk ‘’Nook’’ Poosimma won gold in women’s squash against the University of Southampton and Tanapat ‘’Kan’’ Wilaingam and Jirapas “Pao” Tantipiriyakij won the bronze medal.

This event is very important to the Thai Society of Manchester because the Samaggi Games is a hub for all Thai students from across the UK to connect. It is a great chance for other Thai societies from other universities to network with one another. Carissa Sirikitputtisak also explained how ‘it’s also an important cultural event where Thai students can get together and experience Thai food, language, cultural games and music.’ Overall the event was a great success, with over 1,000 Thai athletes participating and another 1,200 Thai students came to cheer them on making this year’s event one of the largest Samaggi Games ever held.

The Thai Society also organise a whole host of other events, including trips around the UK. These include excursions to Bath, Stonehenge, and a hiking trip to Snowdonia. There are also weekly events, for example a Thai-English language exchange every Sunday at KRO Bar on Oxford Road, as well as many weekly sports events. Although this society is directed and aimed towards the Thai community, it welcomes people who don’t have a Thai background but who just have a passion for the Thai culture.

For more information on events are how you can get take part in you can get in touch via facebook, the society’s website or send them an email.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/TSM.UK/

Email: [email protected]

Website: http://manchesterstudentsunion.com/societies

In conversation with the Feminist Collective: “It’s about making sure that no one’s voice goes unheard”

The Mancunion sat down with the University of Manchester’s Feminist Collective to talk about their society values, their plans for the year ahead, and intersectional feminism

Review: Tiramisu (UMDS)

Tiramisu, which was performed at the University of Manchester SU, is an excellently existential adaptation of Annie Baker’s The Antipodes

Review: Skies in the Cloud (UMDS)

Skies in the Cloud exhibits intimate and ethereal themes, showcasing the talent of UMDS students

Review: Stump (UMDS)

The Mancunion reviews Stum, performed by the University of Manchester Drama Society at The Brewers in Gay Village