pippa-allen-kinross

Piccadilly rapist convicted

Thomas Hall raped three women and sexually assaulted another in just one hour

The serial rapist who attacked four women in an hour near Manchester Piccadilly station has been indefinitely detained.

Paranoid schizophrenic Thomas Hall, 33, raped three sex workers and sexually assaulted another after the ‘voices’ in his head told him to.

Two women were forced to run half-naked down the street and beg passing motorists for help.

The final victim heard him boasting over the phone after his attack saying “I’ve done three or four now. I’ve had the best night of my life”.

Judge Richard Mansell QC said: “You are a very dangerous man. Ordinarily you would receive lengthy custodial sentence running well into double figures”.

“These offences demonstrate serious violence and sexual violence. You pose a risk not just to women, but people generally.”

Adrian Farrow, defending, said that Hall suffered flashbacks from a troubling childhood experience.

At the time of the attack, 5th March 2013, he was already on police bail for raping another woman a month earlier.

Hall, who also suffers from personality disorders, pleaded guilty to four counts of rape, one sexual assault and assault causing actual bodily harm.

He has been detained under the mental health act at maximum security Ashworth Hospital, currently also holding Dale Cregan and Ian Brady.

He cannot be released without approval of doctors and a mental health tribunal.

Pro-Palestinian student groups occupy Simon Building in protest against University

Manchester Leftist Action have occupied the Simon Building to protest alleged University connections with Israel, along with students from UoM Rent Strike and Youth Front for Palestine

Nominations for Students’ Union Awards 2024 now open

Students can nominate themselves or others for the awards, which fall into four separate categories, with each award having its own awards night

UNiDAYS announce opening of Student Woman of the Year competition

The UNiDAYS-run competition aims to support female students who are making a difference and offers a £10,000 first prize for entrepreneurial initiatives