Craving & Saving

Marie Clare Yates reveals how to keep your lips on trend this A/W with any budget

For me, the most important beauty essential is my lip-gloss; it lights up my face and makes me look day-ready. According to research conducted by our very university, apparently men are more interested in a woman’s lips than anywhere else on her body; especially lips tainted red – and this season, that is exactly what you should be doing. Dark berry colours were seen on the catwalks of the likes of Dior and Lanvin, while Prada showcased a plumb palette for those feeling extra daring. For luxurious, wine-stained lips (and for those who can afford it) Chanel has a ‘rouge allure’ range. At £25, it is radiant, rich with a sleek and seductive black casing.

Red Rapture

Red Rapture

But my most fabulous find in a long time has to be NYC lipstick. Cheap and chic, to say the very least, this little stick of glamour is £1.99 from Superdrug. I must admit, I was a little dubious at first – how can something so cheap be worth the purchase? But purchase I did and I’ve never looked back. It’s smooth, glossy and stays on all day; my only reservation is that the lid falls off in your bag sometimes, leaving the stick exposed. Lid aside, I absolutely love it!

If you don’t like the matte look then you can always apply a layer of gloss and remember to always team dark lips with nude eyes.