marie-claire-yates

Fashionista and The City

Marie Clare Yates presents to you ways in which you can fuel your fashion fix as an unfamiliar fresher in the fabulous city of Manchester.

The Manchester Gallery of Costume will walk you through the sparkling steps of fashion since the 17th century to present day trends. It treats you to items that showcase not only the high fashion of the time but also to the garments of the working class people in Britain. There is currently an exhibition illustrating Christian Dior’s iconic ‘New Look’ collection from 1947, which finishes 12th January 2014. Some of the items displayed include garments from his highly celebrated ‘Corolle’ Collection and a beautiful black ribbed silk cocktail dress, worn by Wallis Simpson in 1949. You’ll find this gem near Plattfields Park near Rusholme; is free entry and is open Monday-Friday: 1-5pm, Saturday and Sunday: 10am-5pm.

If your agenda is in need of even more shopping (because I know you’ve check out all of my favourite vintage stores from issue one) then let me bring your attention to The Trafford Centre. I’m sure you’ve already heard of it but if you haven’t been then I command you to immediately cancel any weekend plans and dedicate it to this glittering emporium. With its Roman Empire exterior, Titanic themed food hall and an abundance of stores to explore this really is the perfect fashionista’s day out. Travel to and from The Trafford Centre is easy – just buy a tram ticket from Piccadilly to The Trafford Centre, get off at Stretford and a bus will take you directly there. A return ticket costs around £5.10.

One of UK’s biggest fashion festivals: Vogue’s Fashion Day out is coming to Manchester. On the 10th October attendees will experience international designers, exciting cocktails and Manchester’s finest Chinese food and I personally cannot wait! This exciting event takes place at the Hervia Design Emporium, 40 Spring Gardens between 18:00-21:00, register interest on the Hervia’s facebook page.

Not only does Manchester offer you countless ways for you to spend your money, it enlightens you on how you can earn it back too. On Wednesday 2nd October there are free fashion career fairs and talks on how to ‘make-it’ in the industry. Go with you CV and/or portfolio and speak to industry professionals. Talks on how to make it as a buyer, stylist, merchandiser, journalist or designer (plus more) are also offered. See event times on www.manchesterfashion.com

Decoding the phenomenon: What lies behind celebrities launching beauty brands?

Why are so many celebs leaving the spotlight and reaching into the realm of cosmetics to launch their own beauty brands?

Celebrity style guide #3: Sabrina Carpenter

If you’re looking to recreate Sabrina’s feminine, pop-star style then look no further because we have a guide just for you