sam-bartram

Album: DJ EZ – FabricLive.71

The UK Garage legend delivers a new installment of the iconic FabricLive series.

Released September 2013.

Fabric Records

9/10

The FabricLive series has grown to become a unique and honourable opportunity for the best DJs of the moment to express their musical diversity and mixing capability, all under the name of one of Britain’s most iconic dance music brands. In recent memory, the FabricLive mixtapes have been conquered by the likes of Jackmaster, Oneman and Four Tet, so it seems long overdue that the greatest UK garage DJ of all time should be asked to compile a mix and add the name DJ EZ to this respected list.

Though EZ has been a staple figure in underground music for over a decade, the overwhelmingly positive response to that Boiler Room set has prompted somewhat of a resurgence over the last eight months for the North Londoner. From Parklife to Outlook, EZ has had a triumphant summer doing what he does best: leaving punters mimicking his rather special cueing technique whilst shouting “Little man!” at the top of their voices.

Indeed, DJ EZ’s FabricLive demonstrates perfectly how the garage legend has been able to win over new fans. This mixtape is constructed with a brilliant track selection: old school anthems like ‘Sincere’ by MJ Cole and ‘All I Do’ by Cleptomaniacs are met with modern takes on garage from Disclosure and Woz as EZ confirms his relevance in today’s dance scene. However, for all the undoubtable classics that DJ EZ graces this mix with, it is his own twist on them that makes FabricLive.71 great. The individual style of vocal chopping and cueing is an art that EZ has perfected so well that he is able to create an almost totally new sounding track before the imminent drop of another party shaking selection. EZ’s craftsmanship behind the decks is beautifully exemplified in this FabricLive mix as the steel drums from Wookie’s ‘Little Man’ remix are mixed and matched with the previous track before a brief climax to the drop. The mixing is of such quality that at times there is an uncertainty as to whether it is the original track, a remix, or whether EZ has blended something entirely different – but this is what makes any of DJ EZ’s work so original and interesting, you just don’t know what’s coming next.

With Fabric providing a sizable launchpad for this mixtape, EZ deserves to break away from merely being a garage legend and step up to the status as one of the best DJs across any genre from this country.

Liam Gallagher and John Squire live in Manchester: ‘Growing old disgracefully’ in the best way possible

Oasis’ Liam Gallagher teams up with boyhood guitar hero John Squire of The Stone Roses to deliver psychedelic raucousness in Manchester

This Feeling live in Manchester: Rivia, The Stride, and Kyris take Off the Square

META – This Feeling’s latest Manchester outing showcases three guitar bands with big futures

86TVs live in Manchester: Headline debut in the city lights up the Deaf Institute

86TVs made their Manchester headline debut at The Deaf Institute, showcasing their new EP and unreleased material

Master Peace live at Night and Day: How To Make a Tour

The genre-bending, ‘indie sleaze revivalist’ brings his electrifying ‘How to Make a Tour’ set to Manchester’s Night and Day