TV Catch Up – Agents of Shield

Parizad Mangi tells us why we should be tracking the journey of Agent Coulson of Marvel’s Avengers from the big screen to the small screen

Super successful superhero conglomerate Marvel have now forayed into the world of television after winning the world of cinema. Their new series Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D premiered its first season this month in the UK, the fourth episode having aired this past weekend, and the pilot episode was met with unanimous approval from viewers.

Many fans of 2012 mega blockbuster Avengers Assemble were left bereft with grief when Agent Phil Coulson, a prominent member of the S.H.I.E.L.D organisation, is killed of by the antagonist Loki. However, the sorrow was short-lived when it was announced that actor Clark Gregg would reprise his role in the television series. Coincidentally, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D has also been created by the director of Avengers Assemble, Joss Whedon.

The show follows Agent Coulson and his team of heroes as they use their supernatural abilities to solve mysterious cases and recruit more members. Although this might not appear to be that different from what fans have seen him do in the Marvel films, in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Agent Coulson is put very much out of his comfort zone, as we finally get to see him at the centre of the action instead of his usual role as observer on the sidelines. The showrunners have also promised that the two universes on the small screen and the big screen will clash in the future, ensuring Marvel fans remain excited and entertained with no hiatus from their favourites. With a strong and perpetually hyper fanbase as theirs, this show is likely to keep the buzz going for a long time.

You can catch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D at 8pm every Friday on Channel 4.