matt-byrne

Live: Jagwar Ma

Madchester revivalists Jagwar Ma delight young and old ravers alike

19th October

Gorilla

7/10

Ostensibly labelled as Madchester revivalists from the off set of their career- it was appropriate that when the Australian triumvirate Jagwar Ma descended on the city where bands such as the Happy Mondays and The Stone Roses originated from, the crowd that greeted them consisted of a blend of young and old ravers alike. Perhaps a chance to reminisce for those who lived through the height of the Hacienda club, and an insight into what the much beloved Manchester music scene of the 80s was like for those who missed out on it.

Having garnered attention for their live performances at festivals this summer, Jagwar Ma came to a sold out Gorilla on the up. As they launched into opener ‘What’s Love’ the crowd bounced as one to the uplifting beat orchestrated by Jono Ma.  Then, appearing from off stage, Gabriel Winterfield’s lackadaisical voice crept in, but he struggled to elevate himself above the cacophony of noise created by Jono. ‘Uncertainty’ was greeted with a similar warmth by the audience with the song building to a really catchy beat that turned the good feeling in the room up a notch. However a temporary lull ensued afterwards, when the weakest song of the band’s album ‘Exercise’ fell flat, although this did give everyone a chance to catch their breath.

Jagwar Ma are keen to disassociate themselves as just Stones Roses copycats – Winterfield said in a recent interview with Louder than War that he hadn’t listened to a Stone Roses Album in years, but when you hear ‘Throw’ live and he breaks into an Ian Brown type drawl, it’s easy to think that their influence is entrenched in Jagwar Ma’s psyche. The highlight of the night was definitely ‘Four’ which showcased more of a dance music feel and a step away from the psychedelic rock; it seemed in tune with the sound that Jagwar Ma should aim for in the future.