faye-waterhouse

Review: Topkapi Palace

Nestled in the middle of Deansgate lies Topkapi Palace, a small Turkish restaurant. Having never been to a Turkish restaurant before I stepped inside not knowing quite what to expect… I was pleasantly surprised. The atmosphere was relaxed despite the 80’s power ballad background music which I found myself occasionally joining in with but this […]

Nestled in the middle of Deansgate lies Topkapi Palace, a small Turkish restaurant. Having never been to a Turkish restaurant before I stepped inside not knowing quite what to expect…

I was pleasantly surprised. The atmosphere was relaxed despite the 80’s power ballad background music which I found myself occasionally joining in with but this might not be to everyone’s taste – and by this I don’t mean my singing!

The waiters made you feel very comfortable; checking everything was alright and advising well when helping me, arguably the most indecisive person ever, what to choose!

The food is all homemade and prepared in an open kitchen towards the back of the restaurant and the menu was wide ranging although a tad expensive. Presumably, in an attempt to compete with the other restaurants on Deansgate. Don’t fret though they have a set menu: a starter and a main for £14.50. We all opted for this and were not disappointed.

To start my friend had the cerkez tavugu, described as shredded chicken with walnuts in garlic and mayonnaise it came looking a little ominous and my friend suggested it tasted “a bit like chicken sandwich filler”.

A more successful dish was my tubule, cracked wheat with tomatoes, onions and parsley chopped up finely. It was zingy, light and refreshing, and came with lovely complementary pitta breads which was an added bonus.

The choices for the main dishes were varied, with lamb, chicken, seafood and vegetarian options all accompanied by rice and salad, althougn I would maybe question the wisdom of including a donner kebab.

It might be reassuringly familiar to some, but it’s not exactly a dish with the best gourmet credentials!

I went for the Topkapi special chicken after it was recommended by the waitress. The chicken was in a tomato and onion sauce and was very tender and tasty.

One friend had the moussaka and regretted her decision, saying it was “too heavy” and the rice accompaniment seemed a bit odd with this dish, but the pick of the bunch was levrek, sea bass in a pink peppercorn sauce, with two of my friends wolfing it down.

Our deal didn’t include dessert and luckily we were all suitably satisfied, but we did happen to notice desserts cling-filmed in a glass cabinet which was a shame as it tainted the home-cooked, authentic feel to the rest of the meal.

Overall everyone agreed Topkapi Palace proved a success, the great service and helpful staff really add to the relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. Simple yet effective springs to mind and I would happily go again if I fancy a change from the usual Chinese, Indian and Italian options!

Service: ****

Food: ***

Cooking a week of TikTok recipes on a student budget

Cooking inspiration can be hard to come by as a busy student, which is why I tried out a week’s worth of TikTok recipes to see if exciting meals could be achieved on a student budget

TikTok and Teatox: Why social media is sucking the joy out of food

From ‘What I Eat in a Day’ videos to fad diet trends, social media’s rampant championing of toxic diet culture needs to stop

Margarita Month at Zouk: All style, less substance

Zouk is offering a trio of Margaritas this February to celebrate Margarita Month; yet it seems like all the thought was put into presentation, and less into the drink itself

Flight Club: Margarita Month with a twist

We headed to Flight Club to try their special cocktails in honour of Margarita Month, from Mango Margs to Spicy Picantes