inez-dawoodjee

Petition launched to save Disability Studies

Over 900 signatures, supporters include Members of Parliament

A petition to save Learning Disability Studies has been launched.

The petition has over 900 signatures and supporters include Members of Parliament.

It comes after an announcement the course will no longer accept new entrants from September next year.

The website for the petition stated: “The University says the course was closed because we didn’t reach target admission numbers, but the method by which the closure was carried out was unfair and did not allow students to be admitted via Clearing or right into September, as is usually the case.”

Students are planning a protest against course cuts scheduled for Tuesday 19th November, which will coincide with a Social Responsibility reception hosted by the University.

Supporters have written to Vice-Chancellor Nancy Rothwell to express their concern over the closure of the course.

The University replied that the course will continue at the Manchester Institute of Education.

But students are worried that it will not cover the subject at a depth that is required in such a course.

“At a time when vulnerable people are at severe risk of being further marginalised, this course is of vital importance in raising the profile of people with learning disabilities,” said Sheila Morris, a signatory of the petition.

The School of Education has carried out other course closures.  Last year Applied Community and Youth Work were removed due to low numbers of applicants.  This led to a protest by current students and also prompted criticism from Students’ Union Executive members.