oscar-watkins

Pork Shoulder, Butterbean and Chorizo Stew Recipe

With winter fast approaching, a pounding headache, and the first chesty coughs ringing in lecture halls; what better way to warm up than with this wholesome and affordable one pot wonder.   You will need:   A healthy slug of vegetable oil (olive oil will do) 600g pork shoulder, cut into serving pieces (Sainsbury’s basics […]

With winter fast approaching, a pounding headache, and the first chesty coughs ringing in lecture halls; what better way to warm up than with this wholesome and affordable one pot wonder.

You will need:

A healthy slug of vegetable oil (olive oil will do)

600g pork shoulder, cut into serving pieces (Sainsbury’s basics will do, this will cook for a long time)

150g chorizo, cut into serving pieces (pre-diced chorizo is available in most supermarkets)

1 medium onion, sliced finely

1 bird’s-eye chilli, seeds removed, flesh diced (keep the seeds if you like it hotter)

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

75ml white wine

400g tinned tomatoes, chopped (1 can)

200g can of butter beans, rinsed and drained (1 small can)

A handful of fresh spinach

Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat, add the pork pieces and fry until browned on the outside but not completely cooked through, then remove from the pan and set aside to rest on a warm plate.

Add the chorizo to the pan the pork was fried in and fry until crisp and golden-brown. Remove from the pan and set aside with the pork.

Add the onion and chilli to the same pan and fry until softened.

Add the garlic and the wine and bring the mixture to a simmer. Simmer until the volume of liquid has reduced by a quarter.

Add the chopped tomatoes and the butter beans, then return the cooked pork and chorizo to the pan and stir well.

Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer over a low heat. Then cover the pan with a lid and cook for at least 45 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened and reduced in volume. Add a few tablespoons of water to the simmering mixture now and again, as necessary, when the sauce becomes too dry.

Just before serving, season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir in the spinach.

Serve with a portion of garlic bread on the side, or with couscous or polenta.

Flight Club: Margarita Month with a twist

We headed to Flight Club to try their special cocktails in honour of Margarita Month, from Mango Margs to Spicy Picantes